The Galaxy W I8150 is one of the few unlucky smartphones, which never received Samsung's official support for Android 4.0 ICS update. This could be due to the non-availability of the smartphone across major Samsung markets throughout the world. Nevertheless, Android users can now enjoy the slick and smooth interface of the Galaxy S3 on their older Galaxy W phones, thanks to the RemICS v1.5 custom ROM release.
What New Features You Will Get
Here is the complete list of new features supported by the RemICS ROM:
- Samsung GALAXY S 3 Like UI
- Samsung GALAXY S 3 TouchWiz Nature UX Launcher
- Samsung GALAXY S 3 Stock Wallpapers
- Samsung GALAXY S 3 Live Wallpapers - Deep Sea and Luminous Dots
- Samsung GALAXY S 3 UI Sounds
- Samsung GALAXY S 3 Shutter Sound
- Samsung GALAXY S 3 Lock , Unlock Sounds
- Samsung GALAXY S 3 Icons
- Samsung GALAXY S 3 Ringtones
- Samsung GALAXY S 3 Alarms
- Samsung GALAXY S 3 Notifications
- Samsung GALAXY S 3 Like Phone Dialer
- Samsung GALAXY S 2 Style Call Receive
- TouchWiz like Status Bar
- Andrew Neal's Version of DeskClock
- Tweaked SystemUI and framework-res
- Sony Walkman Music App
- Edited Phone , Contacts and Messaging App
- Added latest Google Apps
- Apollo Music Player
- Black Hole Live Wallpaper
- Gummy Bean Live Wallpaper
Key Points to Note
- The ROM and the instructions provided in this guide are compatible with the Galaxy W I8150 model only and will not work with any other model. Verify your device's model number by navigating to Settings > About phone.
- IBTimes UK advises users to backup important data, apps and settings, as the installation of this ROM requires a full data wipe.
- The instructions given in this guide are meant for reference purpose only and do not cover any warranty claims involving device damage or issues arising out of using the RemICS firmware update.
- Ensure that the correct USB drivers are installed on your Galaxy W I8150 to enable connectivity with the computer. Download Samsung Galaxy W USB drivers.
- Enable USB debugging mode by navigating to Settings > Developer options. This helps connect your Android phone with the computer.
- Verify that the phone's battery is fully charged or holds at least 85 percent charge to avoid unexpected device shutdown while flashing the ROMs or installing the RemICS ROM based Android 4.0.4 ICS update.
- Make sure that your phone's bootloader is factory unlocked and ClockworkMod recovery is installed on it.
How to Install RemICS Based Android 4.0.4 ICS Update on Galaxy W I8150
Step 1 - Download Android 4.0.4 RemICS ROM for Galaxy W I8150 on your computer.
Step 2 - Connect and mount your Galaxy phone's USB mass storage on your computer using an USB cable.
Step 3 - Copy the Android 4.0.4 ROM zip file to the root folder on your SD card.
Step 4 - Power off your phone and boot into recovery mode.
Step 5 - To enter recovery, power on the phone while pressing and holding the Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together.
Step 6 - Choose Bootloader and progress into ClockworkMod (CWM) Recovery using the navigational instructions on screen.
Step 7 - In CWM recovery, tap wipe data first. Then browse and locate the flash zip from SD card option and tap the Power button to select it.
Step 8 - Hit the Power button again and click choose zip from sdcard.
Step 9 -Use volume keys to browse and select the Android 4.0.4 ROM zip file using the Power button. Confirm the ROM installation on next screen and the installation should begin.
Step 10 - Once the ROM is installed, tap Go Back and reboot the phone by clicking reboot system now from the recovery menu. The phone will restart now and the first boot may take about 5 minutes to complete. So, leave it alone.
RemICS based Android 4.0.4 ICS update is now successfully installed on your Galaxy W I8150. Go to Settings > About phone to verify the firmware installed.
[Source: Team Android]