The Sony Xperia Neo can now be updated to CyanogenMod 10.1 (CM10.1) custom ROM, based on Android 4.2 (Jelly Bean), courtesy XDA member Zackconsole. This is an alpha preview with FXP sources and is not recommended to be used as a daily driver since it contains bugs.
Features that have been reported as working, however, include booting, touch-screen, Wi-Fi, sensors, audio and mass storage. Features reported as not working or buggy include the Bluetooth and the camera (inverted).
This ROM and the guide below is compatible only with the Sony Xperia Neo (MT15i).
- Ensure all important data is backed-up
- Ensure device has ClockWorkMod (CWM) Recovery installed
- Ensure bootloader is unlocked
To Install CM10.1 ROM on Xperia Neo
- Download CM10.1 ROM and Google apps package to PC
- Connect device to the PC and copy the ROM to the SD card
- Download fastboot (which is necessary to flash the kernel)
- Extract the zip file to C:
- Download the kernel boot image (which is required to flash the ROM) and copy the downloaded .img file to the extracted fast boot folder in C:
- Connect the device to PC in fastboot mode using USB cable
- Open command prompt on PC and change directory to the fastboot folder on C: and type the following command
Fastboot flash boot boot.img
- Once the kernel is flashed, a confirmation message will appear in the command prompt. Unplug the device from the PC
- Turn device off and reboot in Recovery mode (to do so, turn the device on. Kernel logo will appear on the screen. When the blue LED lights up, begin pressing the Back button until the device boots into Recovery)
- Perform a Nandroid back-up (to do so, browse to Backup and Restore > Backup)
- Go back to main Recovery menu. Choose Wipe Data/Factory Reset and tap on Yes to confirm wiping. Wait until data wipe completes
- Choose Wipe Cache Partition and confirm wipe
- Choose Install Zip from SD Card and then select Choose Zip from SD Card. Scroll to and select the CM10.1 zip file and then confirm installation by tapping on Yes. The ROM will begin installing
- Repeat this step to install Google Apps package
- Go back to main menu and choose Wipe Data/Factory Reset and then tap on Yes
- Choose Wipe Cache Partition and wait until wipe completes
- Select Go Back and choose Reboot System Now
The Xperia Neo should now be running CM10.1 ROM based on Android 4.2.
[Source: The Android Soul]