At least 16 people were injured at a park in New Orleans after gunmen opened fire on a crowd of about 500 people who had gathered on a playground to film a music video. While no deaths have been reported, the conditions of the victims are not immediately known.
"I can't speak to the condition [of all the victims] but no one has died at this time," New Orleans Police Superintendent Michael Harrison was quoted as saying by Reuters. According to witnesses, on Sunday night (22 November) at around 6.15pm CT, at least two gunmen started firing at Bunny Friend playground and later one of them with a silver-coloured machine gun was seen moving towards Louisa Avenue.
The police said at least 10 victims were moved to the University Medical Center and that a number of children and teenagers were present when the shooting took place. "No kids shot at Bunny Friend Park, but teenagers were," local reporter Katie Moore tweeted.
The firing happened at an after-hour party following the annual second-line parade that took place a block away earlier in the day. Harrison told NBC station WDSU that the shootings might be gang-related.
After the shooting ceased, several victims were seen lying near sidewalks. At least 300 people were in the vicinity when the incident occurred.
The police had been keeping a close watch on the parade and rushed to the playground as soon as the shootings started. No arrests have been made so far.