Not too long after Google posted the Android 5.1.1_r2 to Android 5.1.1_r3 to the Android Open Source Project, the developer team behind MoKee ROM has released a custom build for Redmi 1S smartphone based on Android 5.1.1_r3 build LMY48B.
MoKee OpenSource is the Android Open Source development team based in China, with the developer contributing the project across the world.
MoKee is a pre-rooted custom ROM, the latest build of which squashes the heating issues while charging. With every new release the team updates the changelog detailing each small fix to the notable changes. To know more about the changes added in the current release, head over to the changelog for Mokee OpenSource.
- Before following the installation guide, create a backup of all important data of the phone using custom recovery.
- Enable USB Debugging on the phone to connect it with the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Navigate to Settings>> About phone. Tap on Build Number several times until a message appears saying 'You are now a Developer.' Now enable USB Debugging Mode by navigating to Settings>> Developer Options.]
- The Redmi 1S should have above 80% battery charge to avoid power off during the process which could damage the device.
- The phone should be rooted with the latest recovery installed on it. [Recommended recovery TWRP.]
- As the MoKee Android Lollipop is in the development stage, bugs are highly likely.
- The MoKee ROM works with Redmi 1S. As flashing this on any incorrect variant might brick the device, verify the model number of the device.
- After flashing the ROM if the device gets stuck on booting animation or experience boot loop then perform wipe cache partition and wipe dalvik cache for a few times before rebooting the device.
- Once the ROM is installed, users are advised to give 10 minutes to the ROM after the device boots up for the first time for better user experience.
How to install Android 5.1.1 Lollipop build LMY48B on Redmi 1S with MoKee ROM
Step-1: Connect the phone to the computer via USB cable then move the downloaded files to the storage (internal/external) of the phone and remember the location
Step-2: Disconnect the phone and boot into recovery mode.
Switch it off, the press Power and Volume Up buttons together for a few seconds until the recovery menu appears
Step-3: In recovery mode, create a nandroid backup of the existing ROM, which can be restotred later if the new ROM does not work or, you want to revert to the current version. From recovery select Backup and do a swipe on the Swipe to Back Up button
Step-4: Perform wiping task. Go to recovery menu and select Wipe. Also do advance wipe and select system, data, dalvik cache and cache
Step-5: Go back to recovery menu and select Install then locate the folder where you have saved the Mokee ROM and confirm installation
Step-6: Install the Gapps package in the similar procedure you used for flashing the ROM
Step-7: Once the installation process is completed, perform wipe cache and dalvik cache
Step-8: Finally reboot the phone
That's it. Your Redmi 1S should now be ready to get started with the Mokee ROM based on new Android firmware. To know more about the Mokee ROM head over to the MIUI development thread.