Sony's second Xperia branding tablet, dubbed as Xperia Tablet Z currently running on Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean can be now updated to Android 4.2.2, with due credit to the fifth Release candidate (RC5) builds of CyanogenMod 10.1.0 (CM10.1.0) by the CyanogenMod team.
The CyanogenMod (CM) ROMs are based on Android Open Source Project (ASOP) which is designed to deliver better performance compared to stock Android version. The RC builds of CM are the most stable version and safe for regular use. Besides, it comes with several customised features and tweaks.
Xperia Tablet Z users who wish to install Android 4.2.2 on their devices using CM10.1.0 RC5 build, may follow our step-by-step guide.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any mishap. Users are also advised to ensure that their tablets meet following requirements.
1) Install USB Driver for Sony Xperia Tablet Z to transfer files between the Android device and the computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode on the phone to connect it with the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Press Menu>> Settings>> Applications. From there navigate and click on Development option and check the USB Debugging Mode.]
3) As the tutorial might wipe all data of the tablet, create a back-up. If the device is having any custom recoveries such as ClockworkMod/TWRP already installed, then backup data using the recovery.
4) Verify that the battery of Xperia Tablet Z is having above 80 per cent of charge.
5) The bootlaoder of Xperia tablet should be unlocked.
6) The device should be rooted and have ClockworkMod recovery installed.
7) The CM10.1.0 RC5 build works only on Sony Xperia Tablet Z, installing this on any incorrect variant is likely to brick the device.
8) After flashing the ROM if the device gets stuck on Booting animation or experience boot loop then perform wipe cache partition and wipe dalvik cache five more times before rebooting the device.
9) Users are recommended to give five to 10m minutes to the ROM after it boots for the time to settle everything for a better user experience.
Steps to install CM10.1.0 RC5 Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean on Sony Xperia Tablet Z
Step-1: Download CM10.1.0 RC5 Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean build for Xperia Tablet Z
Step-2: Download Google Apps package
Step-3: Connect the Xperia Tablet Z to the computer using USB cable. Now copy both the downloaded zip files to the SD card of the tablet. Do not extract any file
Step-4: Unplug the USB cable from the tablet to disconnect it from the computer and then turn the device off
Step-5: Now boot the Xperia Tablet Z into recovery mode by pressing the Volume rockers for few times
Note: In recovery mode, use the Volume buttons to scroll between options and Power button to select the desired option.
Step-6: In the recovery mode, perform a Nandroid backup of the existing ROM which can be restored later in case the new ROM does not work or users wish to go back to the previous firmware. To perform Nandroid backup select Backup and Restore then on the next screen select Backup again. When backup process is done, go back to the main recovery menu
Step-7: Now perform data wiping task to eliminate clash between the new ROM and the previous ROM. Select wipe data/ factory reset then select Yes on the next screen to confirm the action. Wait for few minutes until the data wiping process is completed then go back to the CWM recovery menu. Select wipe cache partition then select Wipe Dalvik Cache under the advance option to perform Dalvik cache wiping. Once the action is completed, return to the recovery menu
Step-8: Select install zip from sdcard then select choose zip from sdcard. Now navigate to the cm-10.1.0-RC5-pollux.zip which was earlier copied to the SD card of the tablet. Press the Power button to select it and then confirm installation by selecting Yes on the next screen. The installation procedure should begin now
Step-9: After the ROM is installed, follow the same procedure (step-8) but now choose the Google apps package to install the same
Step-10: Whenthe installation process is completed, go back to the main recovery menu and reboot the tablet by selecting reboot system now. The device will reboot now and boot up into the customised CM10.1.0 RC5 firmware. The device will take about five minutes to boot up for the first time
Sony Xperia Tablet Z should be now updated with CM10.1.0 RC5 build, featuring Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean. Head over to Settings>> About tablet to verify the new software version running on the device.
Note: To go back to previous ROM, boot the tablet into recovery mode, select Backup and restore and then restore the ROM by selecting it from the list.
[Source: Droid Firmwares]