Manchester United have not made an approach for Villarreal midfielder Bruno Soriano, the International Business Times can confirm.
An associate of the 27-year-old's agent, Jose Manuel Tarraga, told the International Business Times that Manchester United's alleged interest was "just rumours" and that the defending Premier League champions had not formally registered their intent to sign the Spanish international.
The defensive midfielder made his debut for the Spanish national side in August and his early La Liga form had allegedly earned envious glances from the English giants and indeed Barcelona.
A report in The Sunday Times a fortnight ago claimed Sir Alex Ferguson was planning a cut-price raid on a club that is struggling under uncertain financial times.
The cruciate knee ligament injury sustained by The Yellow Submarine's star asset Giuseppe Rossi, had reportedly deprived the club of a potentially decisive £30 million plus transfer fee and as a result various sources had intimated they may consider selling their talismanic midfielder in order to balance their books.
The La Liga club had already reduced their budget by £28.8 million during the summer but regardless of the financial uncertainty, The IBTimes were told in no uncertain terms that Manchester United had made no formal approach either to the club or directly to Soriano's representation.
In September, and following a spate of rumours regarding Soriano, Villarreal made their intentions to retain their midfielder abundantly clear.
"The sale of Bruno Soriano would be impossible," a source from the club told skysports.com. "His exit would be a big problem.
"We have not formally received an offer from Manchester United or other clubs.
"We play this season in the Champions League and the presence of scouts at the ground is normal."
Despite the club's protestations, The Sunday Times suggested they would find a bid in the region of £13 million very difficult to ignore. The recent report indicated Ferguson was eager to address the perceived weakness in his midfield following their defeat against their bitter Premier League rivals Manchester City.
Despite Manchester United's alleged interest in Soriano the International Business Times can confirm the English club have not made an offer the midfielder.