New proposals submitted by Samsung to the European Commission are "good" and could see a two-year antitrust investigation ended by the beginning of April.
The news came from the EU's competition commission chief Joaquin Almunia who was speaking to reported in London on Friday.
Almunia revealed the Commission received from Samsung "proposals that are good from our point of view" adding that he expects the Samsung case - along with another one related to standard essential patents involving Motorola - "to have the final decisions adopted by April."
The news comes after Almunia said in December that Samsung would have to make "improvements to their commitments" if the investigation was to come to an end.
The investigation began in January 2012 following a 2011 injunction obtained by Samsung preventing Apple selling its iPhones in Europe, which were using Samsung's patents relating to 3G technology.
However the European Commission believes that Apple was willing to licence the patents on fair, reasonable and non-discriminatory (FRAND) terms but was unable to do so, which breaches competition rules.
In October of last year Samsung proposed it would no longer look to ban the sale of smartphones and tablets using patents that are part of a technology standard for five years, against manufacturers willing to seek fair licensing terms.
Samsung also promised to discuss licensing fees with its rivals over a one-year period and to let a court or an arbitrator decide on the issue in the event of disagreement.
Since those proposals were made in October the Commission has been discussing the proposals with the complainants.
Almunia said on Friday that the decision would be adopted with a commitment by Samsung to follow the proposals which it has outlined to the commission - with a breach of these proposals leading to fine of up 10% of global revenue.
The case involving Motorola is similar to the Samsung case, with the EU claiming Motorola used its patents to hinder competition, including Apple.
This follows a injunction Motorola sought and obtained in Germany seeking the ban of iPhone sales. The investigation was opened against Motorola following an initial complaint by Microsoft.
Almunia said he also expects the Motorola case to be concluded by the beginning of April.