Google has just started rolling out Android 5.0.1 Lollipop build LRX22C via Over-The Air (OTA) update for Nexus 4 and Nexus 6, following the recent addition of Android 5.0.1 to AOSP code along with the release of full factory images, as part of the incremental bump for these devices.
Those who are facing issues with factory images or cannot access the OTA update for some reason can download the same manually, using the step-by-step guide below.
Android 5.0.1 Lollipop OTA Download Links
- Back up important data and settings on your device via recovery mode.
- Ensure that your Nexus phone has above 80% battery charge.
- The bootloader of the device should be unlocked.
- The Android 5.0.1 OTA update is only for Nexus 4 and Nexus 6. Installing the firmware on any incorrect variant could brick the device. Therefore verify the model number of the device before installing OTA update.
- This is stock Android 5.0.1 build LRX22C released by Google, not leaked firmware.
- Your Nexus 6 should be running Android 5.0 LRX21O (LRX21T for Nexus 4) Lollipop stock firmware.
How to install Android 5.0.1 OTA update on your Nexus devices
Step-1: Download Android SDK from the Android Development site and follow the instructions on how to install it correctly. For the following process you need the adb and fastboot files which are located in the Paltform-Tools folder
Step-2:Enable developer settings and USB debugging.
- Navigate to Settings then Aboutphone
- Tap on build number seven times until a dialogue box appears saying you are now a developer
- Return to Settings menu and you should find a new option called Developer options, click on it
- Ensure that the Developer options are turned on and the USB debugging is checked
- Ensure that Enable OEMunlock is checked, if you are upgrading your Nexus device that has Android Lollipop already installed
- Connect your Nexus device to the computer and click OK on the dialogue box that asks you to Allow USB debugging, while connecting to the computer.
Step-3: Place the OTA file in the Platform-Tools directory in order to simplify the process of sending the files to your Nexus phone
Step-4: Ensure that your Nexus phone is connected to the computer with the device's serial number showing up as a connected device. Then execute the following command
- ./adb device
You should see the serial number followed by the name of the device
Step-5: Boot your Nexus phone into bootloader mode by entering the following command or, holding Power and Volume Down buttons together while your Nexus phone is turned off
- ./adb reboot bootloader
Now press the Volume Down buttons twice until you have scrolled to Recovery mode. Now press the Power button to select it. This will look like your Nexus device is restarting but an image of an Android with red exclamation mark over it will appear. Now hold the Power button and press the Volume Upbutton and your device will be in recovery mode
Step-6: When your Nexus device is in Android system recovery, use the Volume Down button to highlight apply update from ADB and hit the Power button to select it. Now enter the following command
- ./adb sideload [OTA file].zip
Step-7: The terminal or command prompt will now show a dialogue with the progress of transferring the update to your Nexus phone. Once the update is transferred, you can see the progress bar on the screen.
Step-8: Once the update is completed on your nexus device, it will restart automatically and boot to normal mode
Your Nexus 4/Nexus 6 should now be running the latest Android 5.0.1 LRX22C stock firmware.
[Source: Android Central]