We have noticed you are using an ad blocker
To continue providing news and award winning journalism, we rely on advertising revenue.
To continue reading, please turn off your ad blocker or whitelist us.
Samsung has rolled out the Android 5.0 update starting with the new Galaxy S series flagship smartphone. Now it looks like the next device to get the Android dessert treatment is the third gen Galaxy Note, suggests a leak.
An Android Lollipop build for the LTE variant of Galaxy Note 3 (SM-N9005) has been leaked. The build version of the leak is N9005XXUGBNL8, which weighs in at 1.10GB.
Along with the Android 5.0 software version, the leak brings a redesigned TouchWiz UI. Besides, the Android 5.0 uses a new compiler, ART, which makes the device incompatible with Xposed Framework, reports XDA.
Recognised XDA developer, mithun46 has shared this stock firmware leak. The developer, however, confirms that since this is an official leak, it will not trip the Knox security counter.
The developer also recommends that the PIT file be kept as a backup, in case something goes wrong. To do so, open a command prompt and execute the following commands:
- adb shell su -c "dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0 of=/sdcard/My-N9005.pit bs=1 skip=17408 count=4244"
- adb pull /sdcard/My-N9005.pit
This will create a backup of your PIT file.
Installing this will erase the factory reset of Note 3, therefore create a back up of all important data of the device.
- Ensure that you have installed proper USB Drivers for your Galaxy Note 3.
- Enable USB Debugging Mode on phone to connect it with the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Navigate to Settings>> Developer Options>> check the USB Debugging option.]
- As the tutorial is likely to wipe out all data of the phone, create a backup using any custom recovery.
- Your Note 3 should have above 80% battery charge.
- You should have an unlocked Galaxy Note 3 SM-N9005 unit.
- The phone will lose custom ROM with the installation of leaked official firmware. Also, the custom recovery will be replaced by the stock version.
- The device will no longer belong to a rooted version with the installation of official firmware.
- N9005XXUGBNL8 Android 5.0 leak firmware works only with LTE version of Galaxy Note 3 SM-N9005. As flashing this on any other variant might brick the device, verify the model number of Galaxy S5 by navigating to Settings>> About phone>> Model number.
- Note that this is a leaked firmware, not officially released by Samsung.
- IBTimes UK will not be held liable for any damage to the device.
How to install N9005XXUGBNL8 Android 5.0 Lollipop leak official firmware on Galaxy Note 3 LTE SM-N9005
Step-1: Extract the downloaded firmware zip using any extracting tool to get a .tar.md5 file with few other files, which are optional
Step-2: Extract the Odin zip to get Odin3 v.3.09.exe with few other files
Step-3: Switch off the Galaxy Note 3
Step-4: Place the phone into Download Mode by pressing and holding Home, Power and Volume Down button together
Note: Ensure that you have installed USB Drivers installed on the computer.
Step-5: Run Odin as Administrator on the computer. To do so, right click on the application and select Odin as Administrator from the drop down menu
Step-6: Connect the Galaxy Note 3 to computer using USB cable while it is in Download mode. Wait for some time until Odin detects the device. When the phone is connected successfully, the ID: COM box in Odin will turn light blue with COM port number. This step might take some time
Step-7: In Odin, click AP button and select the firmware file with .tar.md5 extension
Step-8: For 32GB Note 3, click Auto Reboot, Re-Partition and F.Reset Time checkboxes in Odin
For 16GB Note 3 models, ensure that only Auto-Reboot and F.Reset Time options are checked. Do not click the Re-partition option
Step-9: Verify everything and click the Start button in Odin. The installation process should begin now and take a few minutes to complete
Step-10: When the installation process is completed, the phone will restart automatically. Keep in mind that the first boot will take a little longer than usual, about 10 minutes. Do not press any button on the device during the process. After some time you should get the Android 5.0 screen
Navigate to Settings>> About phone to verify the new Android software version of your Note 3.