Photo: XDA Developers
The AOKP Based Jelly Bean update is based on the CyanogenMod 10 ROM for HTC Sensation, which we covered in an earlier IBTimes UK report. Thanks to XDA senior member, frankinstine, AOKP based custom ROM for Jelly Bean is now available.
The ROM features a stock Android interface with highly customisable options similar to the CM10 ROM for HTC Sensation. It also delivers faster performance like its CM10 counterpart, thanks to the latest performance optimisation tweaks ported into this ROM.
Users should however note that the ROM may contain a few bugs and broken features, as it is still under development, while we still await the official ROM release for the HTC phone.
Here is the complete list of features confirmed to be working and those not working:
- Front facing camera
- WiFi hotspot - use BT tether
- Calls & data
- Hardware acceleration (videos need s/w decoder at moment)
- button lights
- Notification led
- Voice input (GNow)
- Video playback
- The ROM and the instructions in the guide are meant for HTC Sensation model only and not compatible with any other device. You could confirm your device model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- IBTimes UK advises users to backup their important personal data (bookmarks, contacts, SMS, MMS, APNs and other internet settings) to avoid data loss while installing the Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean update.
- It is necessary to ensure that your HTC Sensation has S-Off with its bootloader unlocked. Also, make sure that ClockworkMod recovery is installed on your phone before proceeding with the ROM installation steps.
How to Install AOKP Based Android 4.1 Jelly Bean Update on HTC Sensation
- Get the latest version of the AOKP ROM from XDA Developers official thread (Download here).
- Download the Google Apps package here.
- Copy the downloaded zip files for AOKP ROM and Google Apps package to the SD card.
- Switch off power of the phone and then boot into Clockworkmod recovery. To do so, press and hold the Volume down button and the Power button together. One you enter the resulting HBOOT menu, press Volume down to select the Recovery option and then press the Power button to select it. In recovery menu, use Volume buttons to navigate and Power button to select items.
- Take a Nandroid Backup of your current ROM, so that you can always restore it if something goes wrong or fails to work with the new ROM. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore and on the next screen, hit Backup again. Return to main recovery menu after backup is done.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then hit Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait until the data wipe process completes.
- Select install zip from sdcard, then tap choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to locate the ROM file on the SD card and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes - Install _____.zip on the next screen. The ROM will begin installing.
- Once ROM is installed, hit choose zip from sdcard again, then select the gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip file to install the Google apps package.
- After Google apps is completely installed, select go back then tap reboot system now to reboot the phone into AOKP. You may have to wait a while as the first boot may take up to 5 minutes.
- Finally, it is important that you perform a couple of tweaks mentioned below after the phone boots up, at least until the ROM gets fixed updates:
- After first boot, go to Settings > Performance > Processor and set the minimum CPU frequency to 384 MHz, then tick the option: "Set on boot".
- Now, every time the phone boots up (including the first time), go to Settings > Developer options and tick "Disable HW overlays".
NOTE: To go back to your previous ROM, boot into Recovery (as given in step 4), select Backup and Restore then restore your previous ROM by selecting it from the list.
AOKP ROM, based on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean is now installed on your HTC Sensation.
[Source: The Android Soul]
This article is copyrighted by IBTimes.co.uk, the business news leader