Thanks to the release of a more stable build (build 2) of AOKP ROM, the new Jelly Bean update gets slick and smooth performance Photo: Google
Galaxy S I9000 is one of those unlucky Android devices that failed to get any official support for Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) or Jelly Bean updates from Samsung. As a result, these devices would have been long forgotten, if not for the industrious efforts of the Android developers' community, who kept these smartphones alive with regular feature updates and bug fixes.
Thanks to the release of a more stable build (build 2) of AOKP ROM, the new Jelly Bean update gets slick and smooth performance with all features reportedly working fine.
Key Points to Note
- The ROM and the instructions given in this guide are applicable only to the Galaxy S I9000 model and will not work with any other device. Verify your device's model number by navigating to Settings > About phone.
- IBTimes UK advises users to backup apps, important data and settings to avoid data loss while installing the Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean update.
- The ROM is an unofficial, custom ROM based on AOSP release of the Android 4.1 Jelly Bean.
- Do a Dalvik Cache wipe before proceeding from the recovery mode.
- Samsung KIES will not recognise your phone after installing the AOKP build 2 based Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean update on your phone.
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only and do not cover any warranty claims involving device damage or issues arising out of using the AOKP build 2 firmware update. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
- Ensure that the correct USB drivers are installed for your Galaxy S I9000 to enable connectivity with the computer. Download Samsung Galaxy S I9000 USB drivers.
- Enable USB debugging mode to help connect your Android phone with the computer.
- Make sure that the phone battery is fully charged or holds at least 85 percent charge to avoid unexpected device shutdown while flashing the ROM. Otherwise, such an incident may cause irreparable damage to your device's hardware.
- Verify that your device is factory unlocked and rooted. Also ensure that ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery is installed on it before proceeding with the AOKP ROM installation procedure.
- FOLLOW IBTIMES
How to Install AOKP Build 2 Based Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean Update on Galaxy S I9000
Step 1 - Download Android 4.1.1 AOKP Build 2 Jelly Bean and Google Apps for your Galaxy S on your computer.
Step 2 - Connect and mount your Galaxy S USB mass storage on your computer using the USB cable.
Step 3 - Copy the downloaded Android 4.1.1 ROM and Google Apps zip files to the root folder on your phone's SD card.
Step 4 - Power off your phone and unplug the USB cable from the computer.
Step 5 - Boot into recovery mode using a button sequence. Press and hold Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together until the phone boots into CWM recovery.
Step 6 - In CWM recovery, do a full data wipe first. Then browse and highlight flash zip from SD card option and press the power button to choose it.
Step 7 - Press the power button again and tap choose zip from sdcard.
Step 8 - Use volume keys to navigate to the Android 4.1.1 ROM zip file that you copied to your SD card and select it using the power button. Confirm the installation on next screen and the ROM installation procedure will begin.
NOTE: Repeat the same step to install Google Apps zip file as well.
Step 9 - After the ROM is installed, hit Go Back and reboot the phone by clicking reboot system now from the recovery menu. The phone will reboot now and the first boot might take about 5 minutes. So, leave it alone.
AOKP Build 2 based Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean update is now installed on your Galaxy S I9000. Go to Settings > About phone to verify the firmware version installed.
[Source: Team Android]
This article is copyrighted by IBTimes.co.uk, the business news leader