Samsung Galaxy W I8150 finally gets an Android 4.0.4 ICS update with AOKP custom ROM Photo: Samsung
The Samsung Galaxy W I8150 is among the unlucky few smartphones, which have been officially denied the Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) upgrade. Industrious Android developers have stepped in to users' rescue with the release of AOKP based Android 4.0.4 ICS custom ROM update.
Key Points to Note
- The ROM and the instructions given in this guide are applicable only for the Samsung Galaxy W I8150 model and will not work with any other model. Verify your device's model number by navigating to Settings > About phone.
- IBTimes UK advises users to backup apps, important data and settings to avoid data loss while installing the AOKP based Android 4.0.4 ICS update.
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only and do not cover any warranty claims involving device damage or issues arising out of using the AOKP firmware update. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
- Ensure that your Galaxy phone has the correct USB drivers installed to enable connectivity with the computer. Download Samsung Galaxy W I8150 drivers.
- Enable USB debugging mode, which enables connectivity between your Android phone and the PC.
- Verify that your phone battery is fully charged or holds at least 85 percent charge to avoid unexpected device shutdown (due to low battery) while flashing the AOKP custom ROM or installing the Jelly Bean update.
- Make sure that your phone is factory unlocked and ClockworkMod recovery installed on it.
How to Update Galaxy W I8150 to Android 4.0.4 ICS with AOKP ROM
Step 1 - Download Android 4.0.4 AOKP ICS ROM for Galaxy W on your computer.
Step 2 - Connect and mount your Galaxy W USB mass storage on your computer using an USB cable.
Step 3 - Copy the Android 4.0.4 ROM zip file to the root folder on your phone's SD card.
Step 4 - Power off your phone and boot into recovery mode.
Step 5 - To do this, power on the phone while pressing and holding the Volume Up, Home and Power buttons.
Step 6 - Follow the onscreen navigational instructions. Choose the bootloader and then boot into Recovery.
Step 7 - Once you enter ClockworkMod recovery, perform wipe data first. Then browse and select the flash zip from SD card option. Finally, hit the Power button to begin recovery.
Step 8 - Tap the Power button again and click choose zip from sdcard.
Step 9 - Use volume keys on the phone to browse and locate the Android 4.0.4 ROM zip file and select it using the Power button. Confirm the ROM installation on next screen and the install process should begin.
Step 10 - Once the ROM is installed, hit Go Back and click reboot system now from the recovery menu. The phone will restart now and the first boot may take about 5 minutes. So, leave it alone.
AOKP based Android 4.0.4 ICS is now successfully installed on your Galaxy W I8150. Go to Settings > About phone to verify the firmware version installed.
[Source: Team Android]
This article is copyrighted by IBTimes.co.uk, the business news leader