Galaxy S I9000 finally gets the latest Jelly Bean update - Android 4.2 - with AOSP custom ROM
Galaxy S I9000 users are unlikely to get the latest Jelly Bean update - Android 4.2 - through official channels from Samsung. However, with due credit to XDA Developers member - pawitp, the Galaxy S users can now relish the latest Jelly Bean features on their smartphone through the AOSP custom ROM.
The custom ROM based Android 4.2 update was earlier ported to the Galaxy S Advance, which brings a plethora of exciting features including multi-user support, gesture typing, new quick settings option, lock-screen widget, new camera app, photo sphere, enhanced Google Now, as well as new daydream feature and miracast display.
NOTE: As the ROM is an AOSP based custom release that is still under development, it may harbour a few untested bugs or broken features. So, users are advised to proceed with caution. It must, however, be noted that the ROM uses the same partition layout as the CM10 stable release.
Known Issues or Bugs
- adb shell does not work in recovery
- Settings > Storage FC
The AOSP ROM and the instructions provided in this guide are compatible with the international version Galaxy S I9000 model only and will not work with any other device. Verify your device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
NOTE: The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purposes only. IBTimes UK will not be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
- IBTimes UK advises users to backup apps, important data and settings (including contacts, bookmarks, SMS, APNs and other internet settings) to avoid data loss while flashing the AOSP ROM on their Galaxy S devices.
- Verify that your phone battery is at least 85 percent charged to avoid unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) while installing the latest Jelly Bean update - Android 4.2 - on your Galaxy S I9000.
- Ensure that the correct USB drivers are installed for your Galaxy S I9000 on your computer. Download Galaxy S I9000 USB Driver.
- Enable USB debugging mode by navigating to Settings > Applications > Development and check the USB debugging option.
- Make sure that your Galaxy S device is rooted with ClockworkMod Recovery (CWM) installed on it.
How to Install AOSP Based Android 4.2 Jelly Bean ROM on Galaxy S I9000
1. Connect your Galaxy S I9000 to the computer with the original USB cable.
2. Copy the downloaded zip file to the root folder on your phone's SD card. Important: Do not extract any file.
3. Disconnect the USB cable from the computer and then power off your phone.
4. Boot into recovery mode by pressing and holding Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together. When Samsung logo appears on the screen release the Power button, but continue holding Volume Up and Home button until you see the CWM recovery screen.
NOTE: Use Volume keys to navigate and Power button to select an option in recovery.
5. Take a Nandroid backup of your current ROM that can be restored later if something goes wrong with the new ROM after its installation. To do a backup, choose Backup and Restore, then on the next screen, hit Backup again. Return to main recovery menu once backup is done.
6. Now, you need to perform full data wipe. Click wipe data/factory reset, then hit Yes on next screen to confirm your action. Wait for a few minutes until the data wipe process completes.
7. Click on install zip from sd card, then hit choose zip from sd card. Now, locate the galaxysmtd_aosp_jb42-20121120.zip file that you copied to your phone in Step 2 and select it by tapping the Power button. Confirm the ROM installation by clicking Yes on the next screen. The installation will then begin.
8. Once the ROM is installed, repeat the step 7 but select gapps-jb42-20121120.zip instead of ROM zip file to install the Google apps package.
9. After the GApps is installed, repeat the step 7 but choose CWM-SuperSU-v0.98.zip file to install the SuperSU tool for full system access.
10. Once SuperSU is installed, return to the main recovery menu and hit reboot system now to reboot the smartphone into the customized Android 4.2 AOSP Jelly Bean ROM. The first boot may be time-consuming, so leave it alone.
11. Returning to Previous ROM: To restore your previous ROM, boot into recovery, choose backup and restore then restore your previous ROM by selecting it from the list.
AOSP ROM based Android 4.2 Jelly Bean is now successfully installed on your Galaxy S I9000. Go to settings > About Phone to verify the firmware version installed.
[Source: Android Jinn]
This article is copyrighted by IBTimes.co.uk, the business news leader