Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean firmware release for Galaxy S3 I9300.
Samsung has rolled out an official update, Android 4.1.2 (Jelly Bean) with base firmware XXELLB, for the Galaxy S3 with model number I9300. The Jelly Bean firmware is originally for Galaxy S3 users from Saudi Arabia but it is compatible with a number of European countries. The software update, which can be installed either via OTA or through Kies, reportedly fixes a security flaw issue found in Exynos 4412 chipset.
Version: Android 4.1.2
Region supported: Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Spain and the UK
XXELLB Jelly Bean features
1) Android 4.1.2-JZO54K
3) Page Buddy
4) New Gallery app (like Note 2)
5) Notification Panel can be now customised
6) Brightness slider in Notification Panel can be disabled
7) Smart Rotation
8) Continuous Input in Samsung Keyboard
9) Paper Artist app
10) Group cast app
Galaxy S3 users, who wish to install the firmware manually in their devices, may follow the tutorial below. IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any damage to the device. Users are advised to verify the model number of their handsets since the Android 4.1.2 XXELLB Jelly Bean firmware works only on Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 not on any other variant.
1) Download and install USB Driver for Samsung Galaxy S3.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode. [Press Menu>> Settings>> Applications. From there navigate and tap on Development option and ensure the USB Debugging is turned on.]
3) Create a backup for all important data.
4) Ensure the battery of the device carries above 80 per cent of charge.
5) Your phone should be factory unlocked.
6) Once you install the official firmware, you will lose the custom ROM which will be replaced by the official one.
Steps to install Android 4.1.2 XXELLB Jelly Bean on Galaxy S3 I9300
1) Download Android 4.1.2 XXELLB Jelly Bean firmware for Galaxy S3 to your computer. Extract the firmware zip file, you should get a .tar file along with some other files
2) Download Odin v3.07 and extract the zip file
3) Switch off the phone and place it into Download Mode. Press and hold Volume Down, Home and Power buttons together until Samsung Galaxy logo appears on the screen. Wait for a few seconds, your phone will be in Download Mode soon
4) Open Odin on the computer
5) Connect the phone to the computer using USB cable. A message saying 'Added' will appear under Odin's message box. In addition to that, you should see COM port with a number in Yellow if the device is successfully connected to the computer
[Note: In case you do not see the Added message, then you should try another USB port. If that also does not work then reinstall USB driver.]
6) Select these files, which you have extracted from the XXELLB folder, to install on your phone
a) Click the PDA button and select the .tar file with Code in its name
b) Click the Phone button and select file with Modem in its name
c) Click the CSC button and select file with CSC in its name
d) Click the PIT button and select the .pit file
[Note: You may ignore the last three files in case such files are not found.]
7) Ensure Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time checkboxes are selected in Odin window. Also ensure Re-Partition checkbox is selected, in case you are using a .pit file
8) Double check everything and then click the Start button in Odin to begin the installation
9) Once the installation process is completed, you should see a Pass message with green background in the extreme left box at the top of the Odin. The phone will then automatically reboot and soon you should see the Samsung logo. You may now safely unplug the USB cable from the phone to disconnect it from the computer
[Note: In case the Galaxy S3 gets stuck at booting animation after step-9 then enter into Recovery mode and perform data wiping task by selecting Wipe Data/Factory Reset. Then select Reboot System now.]
Your Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 should be now running on Android 4.1.2 XXELLB Jelly Bean firmware. Navigate to Settings>> About Phone to verify the software running on your device.
Head over to this thread to learn how to root Galaxy S3 on Android 4.1.2 XXELLB Jelly Bean firmware.
[Source: Android Jinn]
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
This article is copyrighted by IBTimes.co.uk, the business news leader