Update Galaxy S2 I9100 to Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean with Avatar ROM
Galaxy S2 I9100 recently received the latest Android 4.2.1 (Jelly Bean) update via CyanogenMod 10.1 nightly ROM, which is still under development (not stable). Hence, the industrious Android developers released a more stable Android 4.1.2 (Jelly Bean) based Avatar ROM.
The Avatar ROM blends the highly-customisable features of CyanogenMod 10 (CM10) with the attractive theme engine of MIUI custom ROM in a cool package. The ROM offers full-customisation capabilities of CM10 along with the ability to install striking custom themes of MIUI ROM.
Key Points to Note
- The Avatar ROM and instructions given in this guide are applicable to the international variant - Galaxy S2 I9100 model only. It will not work on any other device. Verify your device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Back up important data and settings on the phone, and also ensure that the device's battery has at least 80 percent charge.
- Verify that correct USB drivers are installed for Galaxy S2 on the computer (download USB drivers).
- Make sure that USB Debugging mode is enabled on the phone by navigating to Settings > Applications > Development.
- Ensure that the device is rooted with ClockworkMod Recovery (CWM) installed
- If the phone is stuck on boot animation or facing boot loop issues, then perform Wipe Cache and Wipe Dalvik Cache operations a couple of times more before rebooting.
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only and do not support any warranty claims involving device damage or issues arising out of installing Android 4.1.2 based Avatar ROM on Galaxy S2 I9100. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
- FOLLOW IBTIMES
How to Install Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean Based Avatar ROM on Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100
1. Connect your phone to computer with original USB cable.
2. Without extracting, copy downloaded ROM and Google Apps zip files to the root folder of your phone's SD card.
3. Disconnect USB cable from computer and power off the phone.
4. Boot the phone into CWM recovery by pressing and holding Volume Up, Power and Home buttons together until the Samsung logo appears on screen. Release all three buttons for half a second and hold them again. Now, the device enters ClockworkMod recovery. Use Volume keys to navigate and Power key to select an option in recovery.
5. Take a Nandroid backup of your current ROM, so that you can restore it later if you want to return to the original ROM. To do a backup, choose Backup and Restore, and hit Backup again. Return to main recovery menu once backup is done.
6. Perform full data wipe task. To do so, click Wipe Data/Factory Reset, then choose Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait for a few minutes until the data wipe process completes. Now, return to CWM recovery main menu. Choose wipe cache partition and after wiping process completes, tap Wipe Dalvik Cache under advance option.
7. Click Install zip from SD card, then click Choose zip from SD card. Now, locate the cm-1.0b_24_20130111_i9100.zip file that you copied earlier in Step 2 and select it by tapping Power button. Confirm the ROM installation by choosing Yes on next screen and the installation will begin.
8. Once the ROM is installed, repeat the step 7 but choose the GApps file instead of ROM zip to install Google apps.
9. When Google Apps is installed, return to main recovery menu and hit Reboot System Nowto reboot the phone into Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean based Avatar ROM. The first boot will take some time. Do not interrupt the boot process.
10. Returning to Previous ROM: To return to your previous ROM, boot into recovery, choose Backup and Restore then restore your previous ROM by selecting it from the list.
Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean firmware based Avatar ROM is now successfully installed in your Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100.
[Source: Android Jinn]
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
This article is copyrighted by IBTimes.co.uk, the business news leader