Nexus 4 Gets Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean Update with AOKP Build 1 ROM
Nexus 4 is among the first few devices to receive the latest Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean update with the release of AOKP Build 1 ROM. Currently, only the official Google devices (Galaxy Nexus I9250, Nexus 4 and Nexus 7) are to get the Android 4.2.1 AOKP ROMs, as the others will have to wait a bit longer.
The latest AOKP Build 1 ROM brings a plethora of exciting Jelly Bean features including custom boot animation, fully-customisable lockscreen and navigation bar (including buttons, colour and widgets), new customisable Status-bar with battery indicator styles, custom vibrations, sound settings and more.
Android 4.2.1 AOKP Build 1 Jelly Bean ROM Features
Here is the complete list of new features ported to the final release of AOKP Build 1 ROM:
- General UI
- Custom bootanimation
- Custom carrier label
- Notification background
- Statusbar brightness slider
- Recents RAM Bar & Kill All button
- Power menu options
- Customisable text color
- Volume wake & music controls
- Allow any kind & unlimited number of widgets (new)
- Navigation Bar
- Fully customisable NavBar (buttons, color, transparency, widgets, etc.)
- Menu arrow keys while typing (new)
- Customisable NavBar Ring
- Battery indicator styles
- Clock styles
- Signal styles
- Statusbar transparency (new)
- Customisable Statusbar Toggles (new, based on Google's tiles)
- LED Control
- Custom Vibrations
- Sound Settings
- Less frequent notification sounds
- Headphone action
- BT connectaction
- Flip action
- Quiet Hours (CM)
- Disable safeheadset volumewarning (new)
- Themes support (multi-user support still buggy, use at your own risk)
- NFC Polling modes
Key Points to Note
- AOKP Build 1 ROM and the instructions given in this guide are compatible with the Nexus 4 model only. Attempting to install the ROM in incompatible devices may cause permanent hardware damage or brick the device. Verify the device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Back up important data and settings on the phone and ensure that the device has at least 85 percent battery charge. It is recommended that you back up data using one of the custom recovery tools such as ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP, as it creates full image of the phone setup.
- Verify that correct USB drivers are installed for Galaxy Nexus I9250 on the computer. Download LG Nexus 4 USB drivers.
- Make sure that USB Debugging mode is enabled on the phone by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if device is running Android 4.0 or later). Otherwise go to Settings > Applications > Development (if device is running Android 2.3 or earlier). Finally, if device is already running the latest Android 4.2 Jelly Bean, then do the following steps:
- Go to Settings > About tablet
- Scroll down to the bottom and select Build Number option.
- Then repeatedly tap on Build Number for seven times (right after the third tap, you will see a dialogue box that says you are only four taps away from being a developer. Continue tapping four more times).
- The Developer Options is back under Settings and USB Debugging mode can now be enabled.
- Verify that the phone's bootloader is factory unlocked and the device is rooted with CWM recovery installed.
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only and do not cover any warranty claims involving device damage or issues arising out of installing the Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean based AOKP Build 1 ROM. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
How to Install Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean Update on Nexus 4 with AOKP Build 1 ROM
Step 1 - Connect and mount the Nexus 4 USB mass storage on computer with the USB cable.
Step 2 - Without extracting, copy the AOKP Build 1 ROM and Google Apps zip files to the root folder on the phone's SD card.
Step 3 - Power off the phone and boot it into Bootloader mode. To do so, switch on the phone while pressing and holding Volume Up, Volume Down and Power buttons.
Step 5 - Follow the onscreen navigational instructions. Now, choose the Bootloader option and progress into Recovery.
Step 6 - In ClockworkMod recovery, perform full-data-wipe first. Then navigate to Flash zip from SD card option and hit Power button to select it.
Step 7 - Tap the Power button again and click Choose zip from SD card.
Step 8 - Use volume keys to navigate to AOKP Build 1 ROM zip file and choose it by tapping Power button. Confirm the ROM installation on next screen and the installation process will begin.
NOTE: Repeat this step for installing Google Apps as well.
Step 9 - Once both the ROM and Google Apps are installed, hit Go Back and reboot the phone by tapping Reboot System Now in the Recovery menu. The phone will reboot and it may take about 5 minutes to boot the device first time. So, do not interrupt the boot process.
Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean based AOKP Build 1 ROM is now successfully installed in the Nexus 4. Go to Settings > About phone to verify the firmware version installed.
[Source: Team Android]
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
This article is copyrighted by IBTimes.co.uk, the business news leader