Samsung is yet to provide details on the Android 4.2.2 (Jelly Bean) rollout for its third generation Galaxy S smartphone which is currently running on Android 4.1.2.; Google has already released this for its Nexus devices.
The device can now be updated to the latest Android 4.2.2, thanks to the SlimROMs team which has released SlimBean 4.2.2 Build 1 custom ROM featuring the latest Android 4.2.2 for the international version of the Samsung Galaxy S3 with model number I9300. Along with the software update, the custom ROM brings plenty of customised features not found in the official build.
SlimBean 4.2.2 Build 1 Jelly Bean ROM is available for Galaxy S3 I9300.
SlimBean 4.2.2 Build 1 ROM features
Full JDQ39 (Android 4.2.2) base
Replace cLock widget with Shiny new DashClock
Added slide before unlock
Bring back long press to toggle PW
MMS: Add quick emoji to text input
Phone: Set my phone number
Added Kill App/Expanded Notification shade/Toggle expanded desktop to hardware binds
Fully configurable advanced reboot toggle
Enhanced circle battery and clock
Camera: Add software HDR Mode
Calendar: Add snooze to events
Enhance T9 and search
Settings: Add forget all networks to Wi-Fi
Notification: Limit notification sounds for interval
Camera: Add animation to mode switch
Sound: Add configurable volume adjust sounds
Notification: Add custom carrier text
Enhance electron beam control
Fixes and optimisations
Batterybar UI glitch
QuickPulldown flips notification shade
Phantom QuickSettings toggle
Colour picker issues
Recents apps panel bug
Camera not animating
Colour picker in landscape
Contacts call grouping
Alarm FC on update
Notification shortcuts spacing/tablets transitions
Choppy lockscreen on Low-mem HDPI
Lockscreen browser shortcut
Longpress NavBar Home not loading recent apps
Advanced Slim Settings
Head over to the development page to learn more about bug issues.
Galaxy S3 users who are looking to update their devices with the SlimBean 4.2.2 Build 1 Jelly Bean custom ROM may follow our step-by-step tutorial below. IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held responsible for any damage to the device. Users are advised to verify the model number of their handsets since the aforementioned Jelly Bean ROM works only on Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 and not on any other variant.
1) Install USB Drivers for Samsung Galaxy S3 on the computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode. [Press Menu>> Settings>> Applications. From there navigate and click on Development option and ensure the USB Debugging Mode is turned on.]
3) The device should be factory unlocked.
4) The Galaxy S3 should be rooted and have ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery installed.
5) Create backup of all the data of the device.
6) Ensure that the battery of Galaxy S3 should be charged above 80 per cent.
Steps to install SlimBean Build 1 Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean ROM on Galaxy S3 I9300
1) Download SlimBean Build 1 Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean custom ROM for Galaxy S3 to the computer
2) Download Google Apps package
3) Connect the Galaxy S3 to the computer using USB cable and copy the downloaded files to the SD card of the phone
4) Unplug the USB cable from the phone and switch it off
5) Enter recovery mode by turning the phone on while pressing and holding the Volume Up and Home buttons together
6) In CWM recovery, first perform data wiping task. Then scroll down to 'Flash zip from SD card' and press the Power button to select it. Use the Power button again to select 'Choose zip from SD card'
7) Using the Volume buttons, browse to Jelly Bean zip file saved on the SD card and select it pressing the Power button and confirm installation on the next screen
8) Repeat the procedure to install the Google Apps zip file
9) Once the installation process is completed, return to the main recovery menu and select 'Reboot System now' in order to reboot the phone. This step is likely to take some time
Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 should now be updated with SlimBean 4.2.2 Build 1 custom ROM featuring Android 4.2.2. Navigate to Settings>> About Phone to verify the software version of the device.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
This article is copyrighted by IBTimes.co.uk, the business news leader