Samsung is believed to be working on an Android Jelly Bean update for the Galaxy Ace 2 which is currently running on the Gingerbread software version. The manufacturer is yet to provide details on the definite date for the rollout.
An official firmware, Android 4.1.2 XXBM4 Jelly Bean, has leaked for the international version of the Galaxy Ace 2 with model number I8160. The XXBM4 Jelly Bean is an unbranded version of firmware and is compatible with a number of European countries.
Android 4.1.2 XXMB4 Jelly Bean firmware leaked for Galaxy Ace 2 I8160.
Version: Android 4.1.2
Built date: February, 2013
Region supported: Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Spain and UK
Galaxy Ace 2 users who wish to update their devices with the leaked Android 4.1.2 XXMB4 Jelly Bean may follow our step-by-step guide below. IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held responsible for any damage to the device. Users are advised to verify the model number of their devices since the aforementioned official build works only on Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 I8160.
1) Install USB Driver for Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 on the computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode. [Press Menu>> Settings>> Applications. From there navigate and click on Development option and ensure the USB Debugging Mode is turned on.]
3) Create a backup for all data of the phone.
4) The device should be factory unlocked.
5) Ensure that the Galaxy Ace 2 has above 80 per cent of charge.
6) The device will lose root with the installation of official firmware.
Steps to install Android 4.1.2 XXMB4 Jelly Bean on Galaxy Ace 2 I8160
1) Download Android 4.1.2 I8160XXMB4 Jelly Bean for Galaxy Ace 2 to the computer and extract the zip file
2) Download Odin v1.85 which will help to install the Jelly Bean firmware on Galaxy Ace 2
3) Turn off the phone. Now, place the device in Download Mode by pressing and holding the Volume Down, Home and Power buttons together until the downloading screen appears
4) Run Odin on the computer
5) Connect the phone to the computer while it is Download Mode. If the phone is connected to the computer successfully, one of the ID: COM boxers will turn yellow with the COM port number. This step is likely to take some time
6) Select these files extracted from I8160XXMB4 folder in the mentioned order to install on the phone
a) Click on PDA and select file with Code in its name
b) Click on Phone and select file with Modem in its name
c) Click on CSC and select file with CSC in its name
d) Click on PIT and select the .pit file
[Note: Ignore the last three steps if such files are not found.]
7) In Odin, verify that the Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time options are selected. Also check the Re-Partition option is selected in case a .PIT file in being used
8) Click the Start button in Odin. The installation process will begin and would take about a few minutes to complete
9) Once the installation process is completed, the phone will restart automatically. Unplug the phone from the computer once the home screen appears
Android 4.1.2 XXMB4 Jelly Bean official firmware should now be installed and running on Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 I8160. Head over to Settings>> About Phone to verify the software version of the phone.
[Source: Team Android]
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
This article is copyrighted by IBTimes.co.uk, the business news leader