Samsung's first generation Galaxy S smartphone has again received the latest Jelly Bean software, although unofficially. The credit for this goes to senior XDA developer, xlory, for sharing the new custom release by team Tsunami among Android lovers.
The custom ROM is named Tsunami X v4.6 which brings Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean update for the Galaxy S with model number I9000. The key feature of this build is that it is based on the latest AOKP sources and with some new tweaks. Besides, the ROM does not have bloatware and no unnecessary tweaks. It is believed to provide a native Android user interface (UI) and bundles several customised features.
Tsunami X ROM based on Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean is released for Galaxy S.
Features of Tsunami X Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean ROM
Base AOKP build Android 4.2.2
HugeMem Patch (396 or 404 MB)
Faster FIX GPS
Fix AOSP Keyboard
Patch video 720p
Google Apps updated
Theme X Theme chooser
Google Music inverted
NOBLOAT (System app installer)
Theme X-Wish S3
Taskmanager Galaxy S3
SMS Pop-up- CM10 style
OTA in Settings Menu
Head over to the source page to learn more about the Tsunami X ROM.
Galaxy S users who wish to experience the Android 4.2.2 along with multiple customised features using the Tsunami X ROM may follow our step-by-step guide below. IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held responsible for any mishap; therefore, proceed at your own risk. Users are advised to verify the model number of the phone since the Jelly Bean firmware is compatible only with Samsung Galaxy S I9000 and not with any other variant.
1) Install USB Drivers for Samsung Galaxy S on the computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode.
3) Create a backup of all data of phone. If the device is having a custom recovery already installed, then create a back-up of the same.
4) The phone should be rooted and have ClockworkMod (CWM) Recovery installed.
5) Perform a Dalvik Cache before proceeding from the recovery mode.
6) The battery of Galaxy S should have above 80 per cent of charge.
Steps to install Tsunami X Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean ROM on Galaxy S I9000
1) Download Tsunami X Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean ROM for Galaxy S to the computer [Alternative link]
2) Download Google Apps package
3) Connect the Galaxy S to the computer using USB cable and then copy the downloaded zip files to the SD card of the phone. Ensure that the files are in SD card root
4) Unplug the USB cable from the phone and turn it off
5) Place the device in Recovery Mode. To do so switch on the phone while pressing and holding Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together
6) In CWM Recovery, first perform a complete data wipe by selecting 'wipe data/factory reset'
7) Perform a cache wipe by selecting 'wipe cache partition'
8) This step is optional. However, it is advised that you perform a dalvik cache wipe so that boot loops or any other errors will not occur. From CWM Recovery, go to 'advanced' and then select 'wipe dalvik cache'
9) Return to the recovery menu after the action is completed and select 'install zip from SDcard' by pressing the Power button
10) Select 'choose zip from SDcard' using the Power button. Then navigate to the Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean ROM zip file saved on the SD card. Press the Power button to select it and confirm installation on the next screen. The installation procedure should start now
11) After the ROM is installed, follow the same procedure to install the Gapps zip file
12) Once the installation process is completed, go to "+++++Go Back+++++" and then select 'reboot system now' from the recovery menu in order to reboot the phone and boot up into the customised Jelly Bean firmware. The phone will take about five minutes to boot the first time
Samsung Galaxy S I9000 should now be updated and running on Tsunami X Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean custom ROM. Go to Settings>> About Phone to verify the software version of the phone.
[Source: Team Android]
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
This article is copyrighted by IBTimes.co.uk, the business news leader