Galaxy S2 I9100P Receives Official Android 4.1.2 XXLSK Jelly Bean Firmware [How to Install]
Samsung is rolling out its first official Android 4.1.2 (Jelly Bean) update for the Galaxy S2 I9100P model, which is now available for the UK via Orange network provider. The South Korean tech major has been releasing regular updates for the popular device in phases to enable the best support experience to the users.
The latest XXLSK official Jelly Bean firmware is being pushed out in phases and hence it could take some time to be available globally. Galaxy S2 users who cannot wait for the official release can now download and install the same manually using this guide.
As SamMobile notes, the latest Jelly Bean update brings a new lease of life to Galaxy S2 with a new Nature UX interface, which is reminiscent of the Galaxy S3 and the S3 Mini user interface (UI) that runs on the new Jelly Bean update.
Key Features Supported on Android 4.1.2 XXLSK Jelly Bean Firmware
Here is the list of new features ported to this ROM:
- Buttery SmoothPerformance & Great Stability (Thanks to Project Butter)
- Full User Interface Revamp (Same UI as of the Galaxy S III and Galaxy Note II)
- TouchWiz Nature UX
- Samsung's S Cloud services
- New Lockscreen With Many Customization Options
- New Features like Direct Call, Smart Stay and Pop-up Play
- New Widgets (From Galaxy S III)
- Free 50GB Dropbox Storage
- 2 Home screen modes
- NewNotificationbar With MoreNotificationToggles
- Google Now
Key Points to Note
- The XXLSK official firmware and the instructions given in this guide are meant for the international variant of the Galaxy S2 I9100P only. Verify device model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone
- Back up data and settings via a recommended custom recovery tool, like ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP; it creates a complete image of the existing phone setup
- Verify correct USB drivers (for the phone) are installed on the computer [download Samsung Galaxy S2 I9200P USB drivers]
- Double check and ensure USB debugging mode is enabled on the phone, by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if device runs Android 4.0 or later) or Settings > Applications > Development (if device runs Android 2.3 or earlier).
- Make sure phone has at least 80 percent battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) while installing ROM
- Ensure device is unlocked (not locked to a specific carrier).
- If device is stuck at booting or experiencing boot loop issues, perform Wipe Cache Partition and Wipe Dalvik Cache a few more times before rebooting
- Allow newly installed ROM to stabilise for five minutes before you start working
- As this is an official release, root access to the device will be lost soon after installing the firmware. Just root the device again to regain full system access and be able to install root apps.
- Instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purposes only. IBTimes UK will not be held liable if device is damaged or bricked during or after firmware installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
How to Install Official Android 4.1.2 XXLSK Jelly Bean Firmware on Galaxy S2 I9100P
Step 1 - Download Android 4.1.2 I9100PXXLSK official firmware for Galaxy S2 on the computer and extract the zip file.
Step 2 - Download ODIN v3.07 which is needed to install the official firmware on the phone.
Step 3 - Power off the phone and boot it into Download Mode. To do so, press and hold Volume Down and Home buttons together, and then tap the Power button until the construction Android robot icon with a triangle appears on screen. Hit the Power button again to progress into Download Mode.
Step 4 - Launch ODIN on computer and connect the phone to it while the device is still in Download Mode.
Step 5 - If the phone connects successfully, one of the ID: COM boxes will indicate yellow with the corresponding COM port number. This process may be time-consuming. So, leave it alone.
Step 7 - Now choose the files that must be flashed or installed on the phone, which can be found among the extracted files in Step 1.
- Click the 'PDA' checkbox and choose the file with '.tar' or '.md5' in its name.
- Select the 'Phone' checkbox and choose the file with 'MODEM' in its name.
- Choose the 'CSC' checkbox and click the file with 'CSC' in its name.
- Click the 'PIT' checkbox and select the .pit file (Ignore the last three steps in Step 7 if such file is missing).
Step 8 - In ODIN, enable Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options. In case of Re-Partition option, check it ONLY if a .PIT file is chosen in the previous step.
Step 9 - Now hit Start button in ODIN and the firmware installation process will begin. It should take just a few minutes to finish.
Step 10 - Once the firmware installation completes, the phone will reboot automatically. Finally, when the home screen appears, just disconnect the phone from computer.
Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100P is now successfully updated to official Android 4.1.2 XXLSK Jelly Bean firmware. Go to Settings > About Phone to verify the firmware version installed.
[Source: Team Android]
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
This article is copyrighted by IBTimes.co.uk, the business news leader