Update Galaxy S3 I9300 to Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean via ParanoidAndroid 3.5 ROM
Samsung Galaxy S smartphones (including the Galaxy S2, S3 and S Advance I9070) have been hogging the limelight for quite some time with due credit to the industrious Android developers, who have unleashed a flurry of custom Jelly Bean ROMs in recent times. Now, the Galaxy S3 I9300 also joins the hybrid ROM party with the release of ParanoidAndroid 3.5 ROM, which offers a host of bug-fixes and feature enhancements over its previous build (v3.15).
Here is a screenshot to give you a glimpse of the new attractive UI ported into this ROM:
Key Points to Note
- The ParanoidAndroid 3.5 ROM and the instructions given in this guide are meant for theinternational variant Galaxy S3 I9300 only. Verify device model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Back up data and settings using a recommended custom recovery tool, like ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP, as it creates a complete image of the existing phone setup.
- Verify correct USB drivers for the phone are installed on the computer (download Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 USB drivers).
- Ensure USB debugging mode is enabled on the phone, by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if device runs Android 4.0 or later) or Settings >Applications> Development (if device runs Android 2.3 or earlier). If device runs Android 4.2, perform the following steps:
- Go to Settings > About Phone
- Scroll to bottom of screen and select Build Number
- Tap the phone's Build Number seven times to unlock or reveal the hidden Developer Options under Settings. Then select the checkbox to enable USB debugging mode under Settings > Developer Options.
- Make sure the phone has at least 80 percent battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) while installing the ROM.
- Ensure device is unlocked (not locked to a specific carrier) and rooted with CWM Recovery.
- If device is stuck at booting or experiencing boot loop issues, perform Wipe Cache Partition and Wipe Dalvik Cache a few more times before rebooting.
- Allow newly installed ROM to stabilise for five minutes before you start working on it.
- Instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purposes only. IBTimes UK will not be held liable if device is damaged or bricked during or after firmware installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
How to Update Galaxy S3 I9300 to Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean via ParanoidAndroid 3.5 ROM
1. Connect and mount the phone's USB mass storage on computer using original USB cable
2. Without extracting, copy the downloaded ROM and Google Apps zip files to the root folder on the phone's SD card
3. Turn off the phone and disconnect its USB cable from computer
4. Press and hold Volume Up, Power and Home buttons together To boot the device into CWM recovery. Note: Use Volume keys to navigate between options and Power key to select an option in recovery.
5. Take a Nandroid backup of the current ROM so that it can be restored later if the new ROM fails to work or you want to return to original ROM. To do a backup, choose Backup and Restore, and then click Backup on the next screen. Return to main recovery menu once backup is done.
6. Perform a full data wipe task as follows: choose Wipe Data/Factory Reset then click Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait for a few minutes until the data wipe process completes. Then return to CWM recovery main menu and click Wipe Cache Partition and wait until process is complete. Finally, choose Wipe Dalvik Cache under advance option. NOTE: This will prevent intermittent boot loop issues and other ROM related errors.
7. Choose Install zip from SD card and then click Choose zip from SD card. Now, navigate to the ParanoidAndroid 3.5 ROM zip file that you copied earlier to your phone in Step 2 and select it by tapping Power button. Confirm the ROM installation by choosing Yes on next screen and the installation will begin.
8. After the ROM is installed, repeat step 7. But choose the Gapps zip file instead of ROM zip to install Google apps.
9. Once Google Apps is also installed, return to the main recovery menu and hit reboot system now to boot-up the phone into the newly installed ROM. The first boot may take some time. So, please be patient.
10. Returning to Previous ROM: To restore your previous ROM, boot into recovery, choose Backup and Restore then restore your original ROM by selecting it from the list.
Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 is now successfully updated to Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean based ParanoidAndroid 3.5 ROM. Go to Settings > About Phone to verify the firmware version installed.
[Source: XDA Developers]
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
This article is copyrighted by IBTimes.co.uk, the business news leader