Bayern Munich midfielder Toni Kroos will not be offered a more lucrative contract despite Manchester United's efforts to lure him away from the Allianz Arena.
The 24-year-old, whose current deal expires next summer, rejected an opening offer of an extension in January before telling the German press in April that talks had been put on hold until after the World Cup.
Reports have suggested the cause of the impasse stems from Kroos' desire to become one of the clubs' top earners alongside the likes of Bastian Schweinsteiger and Franck Ribery. The stand-off has emboldened United in their pursuit of the midfielder with recent reports suggesting a deal was close to being struck between both clubs.
Both Bayern and Kroos' agent had previously stated the player was likely to remain at the club next season but club president Karl Hopfner has warned their offer won't be on the table forever.
"There will certainly be further talks. But at some point the player has to say what he wants," Hopfner told Kicker. "We will not exceed financial boundaries."
Bayern was presented with a similar situation in 2006 when discussions with midfielder Michael Ballack reached a stalemate before the midfielder moved to Chelsea on a free transfer.
"It was the same with Michael Ballack and at some point we withdrew the offer," Hopfner added.
The saga surrounding Kroos' future took a further twist on Thursday with reports suggesting new United manager Louis van Gaal does not want the German international at Old Trafford.
Both the Daily Telegraph and the Guardian suggest the club have ended their interest in Kroos after he was made a priority signing by former manager David Moyes. But Netherlands boss van Gaal, who managed Kroos during his spell in charge at Bayern, has told the club to move on and pursue other targets.