Brazil lost 1-0 to Peru in Massachusetts on Sunday (12 June) to exit the Copa America at the group stage for the first time in nearly 30 years. The five-times World Cup winners had not been beaten by Peru in 16 previous meetings and only needed a point to reach the quarter-final stage.
However, a 75th-minute winner from substitute Raul Ruidiaz was enough to send them spiralling out of the competition, despite their protestations of a handball. The result piles an enormous amount of pressure on Brazil boss Dunga, whose starting line-up featured Chelsea's Willian and Liverpool's Philippe Coutinho.
Asked if he feared for his job, Dunga said, according to the BBC: "I am only afraid of death, I am not afraid of that. When you work for the Brazil national team you have to know the criticism will mount when you don't get results, but internally we know what we are doing."
Dunga was deprived of the services of Neymar throughout the tournament and instead had to rely on the likes of Coutinho.
The Liverpool star produced a stunning hat-trick earlier in the competition but was unable to prevent his side slipping out of the competition in embarrassing fashion.
The Liverpool man was among a host of Brazilians who protested the legality of Ruidiaz's goal - and Dunga was in no doubt that it should have been denied. "It was such a clear handball, but we have no influence over the referee," he said after the game.
Despite having Coutinho and Willian of Chelsea in their ranks, Brazil failed to score against Peru or Ecuador, although they did record an emphatic 7-1 victory over Haiti earlier in the Copa America.