Christians across the world will celebrate Resurrection Sunday on April 20. The holiday commemorates the resurrection of Christ three days after his crucifixion and is popularly known as Easter Sunday.
Easter also marks the beginning of spring and end of the Holy Week which includes Maundy Thursday that honours Jesus' last supper with his disciples, Good Friday (the day of his crucifixion) and Holy Saturday, which honours the time between the crucifixion and resurrection.
Easter Sunday is an opportunity to spend some fun time together with family and friends while watching the kids hunt for Easter bunny eggs.
Check out some of the best quotes for Easter:
1. "The resurrection gives my life meaning and direction and the opportunity to start over no matter what my circumstances." - Robert Flatt
2. "The great gift of Easter is hope - Christian hope which makes us have that confidence in God, in his ultimate triumph, and in his goodness and love, which nothing can shake." - Basil Hume
3. "Those have a short Lent, who owe money to be paid at Easter." - Benjamin Franklin
4. "Do not abandon yourselves to despair. We are the Easter people and hallelujah is our song." - Pope John Paul II
5. "Easter is the demonstration of God that life is essentially spiritual and timeless." - Charles M Crowe
6. "It is the hour to rend thy chains, The blossom time of souls." - Katherine Lee Bates
7. "The joyful news that He is risen does not change the contemporary world. Still before us lie work, discipline, sacrifice. But the fact of Easter gives us the spiritual power to do the work, accept the discipline, and make the sacrifice." - Henry Knox Sherrill
8. "Let every man and woman count himself immortal. Let him catch the revelation of Jesus in his resurrection. Let him say not merely, "Christ is risen," but "I shall rise." -- Phillips Brooks
9. "Let the whole world join the happy lay, Let the hills and vales break forth in singing, Christ, the Lord of Life, is ris'n today." -- Lizzie Akers
10. "Here is the amazing thing about Easter; the Resurrection Sunday for Christians is this, that Christ in the dying moments on the cross gives us the greatest illustration of forgiveness possible." -- TD Jakes
Beautiful Lines from Easter Poems
1. "You'll wake up on Easter morning, And you'll know that he was there, When you find those choc'late bunnies, That he's hiding ev'rywhere." - Gene Autry
2. "The stars shall fade away, the sun himself; Grow dim with age, and Nature sink in years; But thou shalt flourish in immortal youth, Unhurt amid the war of elements, The wreck of matter, and the crush of worlds." - Joseph Addison
3. "But from this earth, this grave, this dust, My God shall raise me up, I trust." - Walter Raleigh
4. "Now let the heavens be joyful, Let earth her song begin: Let the round world keep triumph, And all that is therein; Invisible and visible, Their notes let all things blend, For Christ the Lord is risen Our joy that hath no end." - Saint John of Damascus
5. "The fasts are done; the Aves said; The moon has filled her horn; And in the solemn night I watch; Before the Easter morn. So pure, so still the starry heaven, So hushed the brooding air, I could hear the sweep of an angel's wings; If one should earthward fare." - Edna Dean Proctor, 'Easter Morning'
6. "Could life so end, half told; its school so fail? Soul, soul, there is a sequel to thy tale!" - Robert Mowry Bell
7. "See the land, her Easter keeping, Rises as her Maker rose. Seeds, so long in darkness sleeping, Burst at last from winter snows. Earth with heaven above rejoices... - Charles Kingsley
8. "Awake, thou wintry earth - Fling off thy sadness! Fair vernal flowers, laugh forth Your ancient gladness!" - Thomas Blackburn, 'An Easter Hymn'
9. "See the land, her Easter keeping, Rises as her Maker rose. Seeds, so long in darkness sleeping, Burst at last from winter snows. Earth with heaven above rejoices..." - Charles Kingsley
10. "Angels, roll the rock away; Death, yield up thy mighty prey: See, He rises from the tomb, Glowing with immortal bloom." - Thomas Scott, 'Easter Angels'