The upcoming 'El Clasico' football game between Real Madrid and Barcelona will have the "highest security operation" at a sporting event in history, according to Spain's interior ministry.
Following the recent Isis terror attacks in Paris and with Spain's terror threat level already given a four out of five rating, "unprecedented" levels of security will be in place at the Bernabéu stadium on Saturday (21 November).
Spanish Interior Minister Jorge Fernandez Diaz previously ruled out postponing the match – which attracts a global audience of more than 400 million - saying that "draconian security measures" will provided to ensure the safety of those in and around the stadium.
Spain's secretary of state for security Francisco Martinez confirmed police numbers would be doubled for more security patrols. He told Spanish media: "There will be at least 1,000 police from the national force, which is double what is normal for a game like this, 1,400 private security guards and on top of this there will be the municipal police.
"We are on anti-terrorist alert four and there will be extensive security so as to guarantee that the match takes place with complete normality. We have full confidence in the state security forces and in all those who will contribute so that we will only be talking about a festival of football on Saturday. We want to give out a message of calm and serenity as far as the circumstances permit."
Diaz added: "Security will be greatly reinforced. There will be a lot of security personnel to control not only the access to the stadium, but also the outskirts and the transport that will bring fans to the stadium.
La Liga has also confirmed there will be a minute's silence for the 130 people killed during the Paris terror attacks prior to kick-off. It said in a statement: "In this way, professional football joins hands with international expressions of condolences and expresses its solidarity with the families and friends of victims."
Following the attacks, Real Madrid manager Rafa Benitez said: "The recent world events are deeply saddening and we have to express our solidarity with the victims, because it's very serious and very worrying. We will be protected by the security measures placed in operation for the match and I'm sure that everything will be fine and that we'll be able to enjoy the game".
The attacks in Paris were the deadliest in Europe since the Madrid train bombings in March 2004.
A dozen shrapnel-filled bombs explode on four commuter trains heading for Madrid's Atocha station, leaving 191 dead and about 2,000 injured. The coordinated attacks were claimed by militants who said they had acted on Al-Qaeda's behalf in retaliation for Spain's involvement in the US-led invasion of Iraq. The seven chief suspects committed suicide on 3 April, 2004, by blowing themselves up in an apartment near Madrid, also killing a policeman.