An England football fan has been banned from travelling to Marseille for the country's opening game of Euro 2016 after allegedly planning to take part in hooligan violence.

James Shayler, 50, from Wellingborough, was served a football spectators banning order by Northamptonshire Police on Monday (6 June).

The action followed statements he allegedly made to a reporter for a Sunday newspaper last month in which police say he vowed to travel to Marseille, where England play Russia on Saturday, "to cause potential violent disorder".

Northampton Magistrates' Court, where Shayler appeared on Tuesday, also heard he planned to visit Lens for England's game with Wales.

The court was told the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) had a "compelling case" for a football banning order based on the evidence.

Shayler challenged the order, which was made under the Football Spectators Act 1989, and a hearing had been set for 11 July at the same court.

Bail conditions ban him from leaving England and Wales, however, and forced him to surrender his passport to the police – meaning he will be unable to travel to France during the entire Euro 2016 tournament.

DCI Helen Knight, of Northamptonshire Police, said of Shayler's banning order: "We are extremely pleased with this outcome. We have worked very hard to build a case that prevents this individual from travelling to the Euros where the evidence indicates he would be likely to be involved in football-related violence. This bail application prevents him from leaving the UK and doing that.

"At next month's hearing we hope to secure a banning order that would prevent him travelling to the World Cup in Russia in 2018."

National Police Chiefs' Council Lead for Football Policing, Assistant Chief Constable Mark Roberts added: "Even so close to the start of the tournament we are pleased to see that forces continue to ensure people who decide to act in a criminal manner will be investigated and if the evidence is sufficient prevented from travelling and engaging in disorder.

"Operations will continue to ensure that the small minority of high-risk supporters don't ruin the tournament for genuine fans."

Marseille violence

The news comes just hours after separate events in Marseille saw more than 150 England football fans violently clash with French hooligans.

The two groups were seen hurling chairs and throwing missiles at each other, while one piece of disturbing footage showed a man being attacked by a mob armed with makeshift weapons. One England supporter was later seen lying in a pool of blood.

The fighting is believed to have broken out just before midnight, when a group of football hooligans known as the "Marseille ultras" reportedly attacked England supporters drinking outside the Queen Victoria pub, and the Irish bar O'Malley's, on the quayside in the Old City Port.

The night's events brought back memories of the violence which erupted in Marseille during the 1998 World Cup after England's match against Tunisia. The three days of clashes saw 100 people arrested and 30 others taken to hospital.

1 of 5