We have noticed you are using an ad blocker
To continue providing news and award winning journalism, we rely on advertising revenue.
To continue reading, please turn off your ad blocker or whitelist us.
Bethesda has released the much-awaited patch 1.3 for Fallout 4 for Steam, PS4 and Xbox One users, bringing a lot of visual improvements. However, the new patch does not improve much on the frame per second (fps).
The new patch largely fixes some glitches and improves visual details moving closer to a PC-like experience. It has improved the "ESDF" keys remapping support for the Workshop mode, improved object fading distance and new status menu for settlers. This means gamers will experience more clarity in the terrain view, and can see trees, cars, houses and other objects rendered in from a distance. Gamers can also rotate an object with their left or right triggers.
"The update has several new features – including PC-specific enhancements like our new ambient occlusion setting (HBAO+) – as well as new fixes for gameplay, quests, and Workshop Mode," a patch update note said. The new update is about 500MB on the console.
This update comes two months after the 1.2 update. This patch comes at a compromise, particularly for PS4 users. A performance drop by two to three fps has been reported, and a transition lag visible when in Diamond City.
Besides, there are a lot of older issues that have been overlooked. For example, gamers have been complaining about the shadow draw that remains the same and the shadow fade-in that they experience while running down the road in the game. Also, there are Xbox specific issues when switching weapons, and stuttering problems. "Just a shame that the intrusive stutter on Xbox One is still a real issue," Digital Foundry commented on its YouTube channel.
Overall, patch 1.3 is a mixed bag with emphasis on memory and game stability, but it still has a long way to go before console players could get the same experience as gamers get on PCs.
The other fixes as mentioned on the site are as follows:
- General memory and stability improvements
- Improved performance when looking through a scope
- Fixed issue where player could warp to a different location when aiming
- Companions can no longer get stuck with radiation poisoning
- Fixed an issue where Vault 81 residents would not dismember correctly
- Big Leagues perk now displays calculated damage correctly
- Fixed issue with third person camera not displaying properly after exiting certain crafting stations
- Fixed an issue where subtitles would occasionally not update properly
- Effects will properly be removed on companions when items are unequipped
- MacReady's Killshot perk now calculates headshot percentages properly
- Fixed an issue with NPCs getting stuck in Power Armor
- Fixed a rare issue with companions getting stuck in down state
- Second rank of Aquaboy now calculates properly
- Fixed an issue with resistance not always lowering the damage correctly when added by mods
- Enabled number of characters available when renaming an item (XB1)
- Fixed issue with player becoming dismembered while still alive
- Robotics expert is now usable in combat
- Stimpaks can now be used on Curie after the transformation
- Playing a holotape found in wilderness while switching point of view no longer causes the screen to blur or controls to be locked
- Fixed an issue with "Taking Independence" where the Minutemen remaining from the battle against the Mirelurk Queen would not gather in the Castle
- Fixed an issue where invulnerable characters would get stuck in combat
- Fixed an issue where Preston would send player to a settlement instead of a dungeon as part of a Minutemen quest
- Fixed an issue where Synths could attack the Castle while the player was friends with the Institute
- Fixed an issue where killing a caravan would leave a quest open
- Fixed an issue where Dogmeat would stay at Fort Hagen after "Reunions" was completed
- Fixed an issue where the player couldn't talk to Desdemona to complete "Underground Undercover"
- Fixed an issue where the player could get stuck exiting the cryopod
- Fixed an issue where the player could no longer get Preston as a companion
- In "The End of the Line," fixed an issue that would prevent the player from killing the leaders of the Railroad
- Fixed an issue with Minutemen quests repeating improperly
- Fixed an issue where the player couldn't get back into the Railroad headquarters after being kicked out of the Brotherhood of Steel
- After finishing "The Big Dig," fixed an issue where Hancock would no longer offer to be a companion or help with the "Silver Shroud" quest
- Fixed an issue with obtaining the Dampening Coils from Saugus Ironworks before going to Yangtze
- During "Unlikely Valentine," fixed an issue where the player could be blocked from entering Vault 114
- In "Confidence Man," Bull and Gouger can now be killed
- During "Taking Independence," fixed an issue that would prevent the radio transmitter from powering up
- In "Human Error," fixed an issue where killing Dan would cause the quest to not complete properly
- Fixed an issue with "Tactical Thinking" where leaving dialogue early with Captain Kells to reprogram P.A.M. could cause quest to not completely properly