We have noticed you are using an ad blocker
To continue providing news and award winning journalism, we rely on advertising revenue.
To continue reading, please turn off your ad blocker or whitelist us.
As promised, Samsung has started rolling out the Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean software update for the international version of Galaxy Ace 2 with model number I8160. The Jelly Bean update is being released in phases and is expected to arrive in other regions gradually .
What is surprising is that users are said to be unhappy with the new update as it has turned their devices slower and laggy. Moreover, some of the users have complained over fast battery drain issue.
Galaxy Ace 2 users who wish to return to the previous Android 2.3 Gingerbread version and downgrade their devices from Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean to Gingerbread may follow our step-by-step guide.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any damage to the device. Before proceeding users are advised to ensure that their devices meet the requirements below.
1) Download and install USB Driver for Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 on the computer.
2) Ensure that USB Debugging Mode is enabled on the phone to connect it with the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Press Menu>> Settings>> Applications. From there navigate and click on Development option and ensure the USB Debugging Mode is turned on.]
3) Create a backup of all data of the phone. If the device is having custom recovery such as ClockworkMod/TWRP installed already then back up all data using the same since it create a complete image of the existing tablet set up.
4) The battery of the Galaxy Ace 2 should have charge above 80 per cent.
5) The phone should be unlocked and not locked to a particular carrier.
6) The firmware file as well as the tutorial below work only on the Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 I8160 running on Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean. Applying these methods to any incorrect variant might brick the device. Therefore, verify the model number of the device by navigating to Settings>> About Phone>> Model Number.
Steps to downgrade Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 from Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean to Gingerbread
1) Download Gingerbread firmware I8160XXLK6.Rar for Galaxy Ace 2 to the computer
2) Download Odin3_v1.83.zip
3) Power off the Galaxy Ace 2 and then boot into Download Mode. Press and hold Volume Down, Home and Power buttons together for a few seconds until a warning screen appears. Then press the Volume Up button to continue to enter Download Mode
4) Open the Odin folder and run the Odin3_v1.83.exe as administrator
5) Connect the phone to the computer using USB cable while it is in the Download Mode. Wait for few seconds until the ID:COM port at the Odin turns yellow indicating the device is successfully connected to the computer
6) Now open the extracted firmware folder which will have three files as follows
7) In Odin ensure that Re-Partition, Auto Reboot and F Reset Time options are selected
8) Click on PDA button and select the CODE_GT-I8160XXLK6_CL1211243_REV00_SEC_KEY_LK6-4G.tar.md5 file
9) Click on CSC button and select the CSC_GT-I8160-MULTI-CSC-0XELF1_SEC_KEY_4G.tar.md5 file
10) Click on PIT button and select the GT-I8160_EUR_XX_4G.pit file
11) Double check everything and then click the Start button in Odin. The installation process will begin now and would take a few minutes to complete
12) When the installation process is completed, the phone will reboot automatically
Android Gingerbread software should now be installed and running on Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 I8160. Head over to Settings>> About Phone to verify the software version of the device.
Note: Users can download region specific firmware in case they come have problem with the language of the device. Users are reminded not to use any PIT file while installing the new Gingerbread firmware; instead, click on the PDA button and select the file with .tar.md5 extension (in case the download firmware zip contains a single file). Additionally, following the aforementioned procedure users can install any new firmware on their Galaxy Ace 2 from here.
Click here for guide to install I8160XXMF1 Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean on Galaxy Ace 2
[Source: Droid Views]