Galaxy Grand Duos users can now upgrade their devices to the latest iteration of KitKat software, Android v4.4.2 using Omni ROM released by senior XDA member k2wl.
Most of the features are working fine in this update except a few. Also the developer has noted this custom ROM does not work on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean, therefore those who wish to install this ROM should upgrade their devices to Android 4.2.2. Head over to the development thread to learn more about Omni ROM based on Android 4.4.2.
RIL (Calls, SMS, Mobile Data)
Sensors (Accelerometer, Compass, Light, Proximity, etc.)
Camera (photo and video)
Audio (playback and recording)
Only the primary SIM slot works
Screenrecord does not work
FM Radio does not work (you can use SpiritFM, but I am not providing support for any problem)
Stock browser does not use hardware acceleration (Please use Google Chrome)
Sometimes wake up causes music stutter
Camera sometimes crash when closing app/share
Small artifact in Camera UI
Does not work on 4.1 stock ROM's bootloader, please upgrade to 4.2 before flashing
Galaxy Grand Duos users, who wish to install Android 4.4.2 on their devices using Omni ROM, may follow our step-by-step guide.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held responsible for any damage to the device. Users are also advised to verify that their devices meet following requirements before the ROM installation.
1) Install USB Driver for Samsung Galaxy Grand Duos to connect the Android device with computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode on phone to connect it with the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Navigate to Settings>> About phone. Tap on Build Number several times until a message appears saying 'You are now a Developer.' Now go to Settings>> Developer Options to enable USB Debugging Mode.]
3) As the tutorial might wipe out all data of the phone, create a backup. If the device is having any custom recoveries such as CWM/TWRP installed then backup data using the recovery.
4) If the Android device powers off due to lack of battery during the installation process, it could damage the device. Therefore, the Galaxy Grand should have above 80% battery charge.
5) The phone should be rooted and have CWM recovery. Ensure the latest version of CWM recovery is installed.
6) The Android 4.4.2 KitKat Omni ROM is compatible only with Samsung Galaxy Grand Duos GT-I9082/GT-I9082L. As flashing this on any incorrect variant might brick the device, verify the model number of the Galaxy Grand Duos by navigating to Settings>> About phone>> Model number.
Files required to download
Android 4.4.2 KitKat Omni ROM for Galaxy Grand [File name: omni-4.4.2-20140107-i9082-K2WL-MADE-Build2.zip]
Google Apps package [File name: gapps-kk-20131208.zip]
Superuser file [File name: Superuser.zip]
How to install Android 4.4.2 KitKat on Galaxy Grand Duos I9082/I9082L via Omni ROM
Step-1: Boot the Galaxy Grand Duos into recovery mode. To do so, first power off the phone and wait for five to 10 seconds until the device goes off completely. Press and hold Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together and release them once the Galaxy logo appears on the screen
Note: In recovery mode, use Volume keys to navigate up and down between options and Power button to select an option.
Step-2: Make a Nandroid Backup from the recovery. It is optional but very important, in case something goes wrong you can restore to the current status. To perform Nandroid Backup, go to Backup and Restore>> Backup
Step-3: Perform a Factory Reset (This will delete all apps and their settings and game progress). Select Wipe data/ Factory reset then select Yes on the next screen to confirm factory reset
Step-4: In recovery mode, select Install zip>> Choose zip from sdcard (or external sdcard, where the files are saved). Then browse to the location where Android 4.4.2 KitKat Omni ROM is saved. Select the ROM file and confirm installation
Step-5: After the ROM is installed, repeat the similar process to flash the Gapps file
Step-6: As the ROM is not pre-rooted, flash the Superuser file after flashing the Gapps
Step-7: When the installation process is completed, return to the main recovery menu and reboot the phone by selecting Reboot system now
Note: If the device gets bootloop (gets stuck at logo while rebooting), perform a factory reset.
As the Galaxy Grand Duos boots up successfully, it should be running on Android 4.4.2 KitKat Omni ROM. Navigate to Settings>>About phone to verify the new software version of the Galaxy handset.
[Source: Android Soul]