After its earlier confirmation of the Premium Suite upgrade for its first generation Galaxy Note, Samsung has now posted the first service manual based on Android 4.1.2 (Jelly Bean) for the device. Although the rollout date for the software upgrade is yet to be confirmed, it is expected soon.
Until then, Galaxy Note users can experience Jelly Bean features through custom ROMs. Recently XDA developer, neobuddy89, released a custom build named as Stunner 2 (v2.1.27) for the Galaxy Note with model number N7000. The custom firmware is based on the latest Android 4.2.1 (Jelly Bean). One of the key features of the Stunner ROM is that it is built from both AOKP and CyanogenMod (CM) sources.
"Stunner 2 is built from AOKP/CM sources merged for features and performance and always carries a very light installation with no extra/useless apps. This means, you can enjoy a pure Android experience combined with AOKP/CM features and some CM cherry-picks. Keep in mind Jelly Bean is only at the beginning stage of development and there will be minor bugs," says the developer.
Features of Android 4.2.1 Stunner Jelly Bean ROM
1) AOKP features
2) CM Profiles
3) Per-app DPI/Language/Tablet UI
4) UI Mode to enable Tablet NavBar
5) Navigation Bar colour
6) Multi User capability (features from Nexus 7)
7) Lockscreen vibration option
8) Phone: Advance Phone Settings
9) Phone: Noise suppression
10) Camera: Enable selection to storage on internal or external SD
11) MMS: Message rate alerts (Modify SMS message limit for alert)
12) MMS: Fully customised MMS Theme
13) MMS: Soft Keyboard Type
14) Option to control cursor in text fields using volume keys
15) Home button call answer (Accessibility option)
16) Variable size patters lockscreen
17) Build.prop and init.d tweaks
Head over to the development page to know more about the ROM.
Galaxy Note users who wish to update their devices with Stunner Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean ROM may follow the guide below. IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held responsible for any damage to the device. Users are advised to verify the model number of the phones since the aforementioned Jelly Bean ROM works only with Samsung Galaxy Note N7000, not with any other variants.
1) Install USB Driver for Samsung Galaxy Note on the computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode.
3) Make a backup for all important data of the device.
4) The battery of the Galaxy Note should carry more than 80 per cent of charge.
5) The Note should be rooted and should have ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery installed before proceeding.
6) Perform a Dalvik Cache wipe before proceeding from the recovery mode.
Steps to install Android 4.2.1 Stunner 2 (v2.1.27) Jelly Bean ROM on Galaxy Note N7000
2) Download Google Apps package
3) Connect the Galaxy Note to the computer using USB cable and then copy both the downloaded zips to the SD card of the device
4) Unplug the USB cable from the phone then turn off the phone
5) Enter Recovery Mode by switching on the phone while pressing and holding Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together
6) In CWM recovery, perform data wiping task. Then using the Volume buttons scroll down to 'Flash zip from SD card,' press the Power button to select it
7) Press the Power button again to select 'Choose zip from SD card'
8) Using the Volume buttons browse to the Jelly Bean custom ROM zip file which is saved on the SD card; now select it using the Power button then confirm installation on the next screen
9) Once the ROM is installed, repeat the same procedure to flash Google Apps zip file
10) After the installation process is completed, return to the main recovery menu and select 'Reboot System now' to reboot the phone. The device will take about five minutes to boot for the first time
Samsung Galaxy Note N7000 should now be updated with Stunner 2 Jelly Bean ROM based on Android 4.2.1. Head over to Settings>> About Phone to verify the software version running on the device.
[Source: Team Android]