The international version of Samsung Galaxy S Advance recently received I9070XXLQG Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean official update. The new build is an unbranded version of firmware and can be downloaded through the Samsung KIES server. Users from supported regions can also install the update manually via Odin flashing tool.
Version: Android 4.1.2
Build date: 29 May, 2013
Click here for our guide to install I9070XXLQG Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean on Galaxy S Advance manually.
Those who have already upgraded their handsets with the official build and are currently looking for a root method, may follow our step-by-step guide.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held responsible for any mishap. Users are also advised to verify that their devices meet following requirements
1) Install USB Driver for Samsung Galaxy S Advance to transfer files between the Android device and the computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode on the phone to connect the Android device with the computer and use the Android SDK with it. [Press Menu>> Settings>> Applications. From there navigate and click on Development option and then check the USB Debugging Mode.]
3) As the tutorial might wipe out all data of the phone, create a backup. If the device is having any custom recoveries such as CWM/TWRP already installed then back up data using the recovery.
4) The Galaxy S Advance should have above 80% battery charge.
5) The device should be factory unlocked and not locked to a particular carrier.
6) The phone will lose manufacturer's warranty once it is rooted. But users can reclaim the warranty back by unrooting it later. Click here for guide to unroot Samsung Galaxy S Advance to stock official firmware.
7) The root package is compatible only with Samsung Galaxy S Advance GT-I9070. As flashing this on any incorrect variant is likely to brick the device, verify the model number of the Galaxy device by navigating to Settings>> About phone>> Model number.
Steps to root Samsung Galaxy S Advance GT-I9070 on Android 4.1.2 XXLQG Jelly Bean
Step-1: Download root package for Samsung Galaxy S Advance to the computer
Step-2: Connect the phone to the computer using USB cable. Then copy the downloaded root zip to the external SD card of the phone
Step-3: Unplug the USB cable from the phone and then turn the device off. Wait for about five to six seconds for the vibration to confirm complete power off
Step-4: Boot the Galaxy S Advance into stock recovery mode by pressing and holding Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together until the device turns on
Note: In recovery mode, use the Volume buttons to navigate between options and Power button to select the desired option.
Step-5: In recovery mode, select install update from external storage then select choose zip from sdcard. Now locate the root.zip which was earlier copied to the SD card of the phone
Step-6: Press the Power button to select it and confirm installation on the next screen. The installation process should begin now and would take few minutes to complete
Step-7: When the installation is completed, reboot the phone by selecting reboot system now from main recovery menu
Samsung Galaxy S Advance running on Android 4.1.2 I9070XXLQG Jelly Bean official firmware should now be rooted successfully. To verify the root status of the device, download and install Root Checker app from Google Play Store.
Click here for guide to install Android 4.2.2 on Galaxy S Advance with unofficial AOKP build
[Source: XDA developers]