Samsung has just started rolling out the latest Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean Over-The-Air (OTA) update with firmware build number I9100XXMS7 for the international variant of Galaxy S2 with model number GT-I9100.
As the new OTA update is being rolled out in phases (starting with Poland), it will take some time before it will be made available in your country or region.
Galaxy S2 (GT-I9100) users in Poland can now download the new firmware via OTA as well as through Samsung KIES.
Nevertheless, those residing outside Poland who cannot wait for the new official firmware release in their country can download the same manually, using our step-by-step guide via Odin.
I9100XXMS7 Android 4.1.2 Firmware Details
Model name: GALAXY S II
Version: Android 4.1.2
Build date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 01:33:56 +0000
Product Code: XEO
As this is a region-specific firmware, it may include additional apps and local language packs besides the regular firmware installation and update files.
Key Points to Note
- The XXMS7 Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean firmware and these instructions are meant for the Galaxy S2 GT-I9100 model only. Do not attempt installing this firmware on another variant or device, as it may inadvertently hard-brick or damage the device. Verify the device model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Back up data and settings via a recommended custom recovery tool such as ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP
- Verify appropriate USB drivers are installed for the phone on computer (download Galaxy S2 GT-I9100 USB drivers)
- Ensure USB debugging mode is enabled on phone by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if device is running Android 4.0 or later) or Settings > Applications > Development (if device is running Android 2.3 or earlier).
- Ensure phone has at least 80% battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) while installing ROM.
- Ensure both device and its bootloader is unlocked.
- If device is stuck at bootingor experiences boot loop issues, Wipe Cache Partition and Wipe Dalvik Cache a few more times before rebooting.
- Allow newly installed ROM to stabilise for five minutes before using the device.
- If a Status 7 error message flashes while installing firmware, it could be due to an incompatible device or absence of a necessary kernel (for instance, a Jelly Bean Kernel must be installed before installing any Jelly Bean ROM)
- Instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only. IBTimes UK reminds readers it will not be held liable if device is damaged or bricked during or after firmware installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
How to Install Official I9100XXMS7 Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean Firmware on Galaxy S2 GT-I9100
Step 2: Extract the firmware zip file to the desktop to obtain a .tar.md5 file and some other files (optional).
Step 3: Extract Odin zip file to get Odin3 v3.07.exe as well as few other files.
Step 4: Power off the phone and wait for vibration (about 5-6 seconds) to confirm complete device shutdown. Then boot the device in Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down, Home and Power buttons together until a construction Android robot icon appears on screen. Then hit Volume Up button to progress into Download Mode.
Step 5: Launch Odin3 v3.07.exe that you extracted in Step 3 as an Administrator, as Admin privileges are required to complete the installation process smoothly.
Step 6: Connect the Galaxy S2 to computer via USB cable, while the phone is still in Download mode. When the device connects successfully, a message saying "Added!" appears in ODIN and the ID: COM box will turn yellow with the corresponding COM port number. If the message fails to appear, try reinstalling the phone's USB drivers or changing the port on the computer.
Step 6: Choose the following files from the extracted I9100XXMS7 firmware folder that you obtained in Step 1 by using respective checkboxes:
- Select the PDA checkbox, and click the '.tar.md5' file
- Tap the Phone checkbox, and select the file named 'modem' (ignore if such file is not found)
- Choose the CSC checkbox, and click the file named 'CSC' (ignore if there is no such file)
- Click the PIT checkbox, and choose the '.pit' file (ignore if the file is missing)
Step 7: In Odin, enable Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options by selecting the checkboxes. But the Re-Partition checkbox must be selected only if a .pitfile was chosen in the previous step in ODIN.
Step 8: To prevent ROM related errors, verify Step 6 and Step 7 are done correctly. Then hit START button to begin flashing firmware.
Step 9: Once the firmware installation is complete, the phone will reboot automatically and soon a PASS message with green background appears in the left-most box at the very top of Odin. Now it is safe to unplug the USB cable to disconnect the device from computer.
The Galaxy S2 GT-I9100 is now running on the latest Android 4.1.2 I9100XXMS7 Jelly Bean OTA update. Go to Settings > About Phone to verify the firmware installed.
If the phone is stuck at boot animation or Samsung logo after Step 9, then go to recovery mode (press and hold the Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together) and perform Wipe data/Factory Reset as well as Wipe Cache Partition before choosing reboot system now option.
NOTE: Use Volume keys to navigate between options and Power key to select an option in recovery. Performing data wipe task will only erase your phone's internal memory and not the data on SD card.
[Source: Team Android]