There is no official word so far on the Android 4.4.2 KitKat update for Samsung's third generation Galaxy S smartphone, but still the device can experience latest Android software, with the Revolutionary S5 ROM released by recognised XDA developer, ricky310711.
The Revolutionary S5 custom firmware featuring Android 4.4.2 brings tons of customised features and tweaks. It is heavily themed to look like the firmware of Galaxy S5. Besides, the TouchWiz has been modified, like the Galaxy S5 running Android 4.4.2 KitKat. Below is the changelog for Revolutionary S5 V3.
Revolutionary S5 Android 4.4.2 ROM Changelog (V3)
All S5 UI sounds
All S5 ringtones
All S5 Alarms
All S5 notification sounds
New S5 default wallpaper
Complete S5 UI
True S5 UI icons
Android_Secure wiped while wiping /data
Re-enabled ink effect
More S5 icons(in launcher)
S5 download UI
Fixed browser UI(now complete)
Updated samsungtool(V5.0 UNIVERSAL)
Complete S5 themed clock
Complete S5 themed My Files(N3)
Optimised S5 accuweather
Compressed apps with higher compression
Updated installation method
Automatic backups of apps
Automatic backups of efs
Automatic backups of recovery settings(if found)
Automatic backups of app settings(if found)
updated wanam xposed
S5 MyFiles UI
S5 video player UI
Head over to the development thread to know more about Revolutionary S5 ROM for Galaxy S3.
Interested users, who wish to upgrade their Galaxy S3 to Android 4.4.2 using Revolutionary S5 ROM to enjoy the aforementioned customisations, may follow our step-by-step guide.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held responsible for any damage to the device. Before following the installation guide, users are advised to verify their devices meet following requirements.
1) Install USB Drivers for Galaxy S3 to transfer files between the Android device and the computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode on the phone to connect it with the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Navigate to Settings>> About phone. Tap on Build Number several times until a message appears saying 'You are now a Developer.' Now enable USB Debugging Mode by navigating to Settings>> Developer Options.]
3) As the tutorial might wipe out all data of the phone, create backup. If the device is having any custom recovery such as ClockworkMod or, TWRP then backup data using the same.
4) If the Android phone powers off due to lack of battery during the process, it could damage the device. Therefore, the Galaxy S3 should have charge above 80% battery charge.
5) The phone should be rooted and have latest version of ClockworkMod recovery. [Click here for our guide to root Galaxy S3.]
6) Android 4.4.2 KitKat Revolutionary S5 ROM works only with Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300. As applying this to any incorrect variant might brick the device, verify the model number of Galaxy S3 by navigating to Settings>> About phone>> Model number.
7) After flashing the ROM if the device gets stuck on Booting animation or experience boot loop then perform wipe cache partition and wipe dalvik cache for a few times before rebooting the device.
8) Once the ROM is installed, users are advised to give 10 minutes to the ROM after the device boots up for the first time for better user experience.
How to install Android 4.4.2 KitKat on Galaxy S3 I9300 with Revolutionary S5 ROM
Step-1: Connect Galaxy S3 to the computer using USB cable then copy both the downloaded zip file to the SD card of the phone. Ensure that the files in the SD card root, not in any folder
Step-2: Unplug the USB cable from the phone and switch it off
Step-3: Boot the phone into CWM recovery mode by pressing and holding Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together
Step-4: In recovery mode, perform a full data wipe by selecting wipe data/ factory reset. Use the Power button to select while in Recovery Mode
Step-5: Now perform a cache wipe by selecting wipe cache partition
Step-6: Perform a wipe of dalvik cache. This is optional but users are recommended to perform so that the device will not get into boot loops or any other errors. From CWM recovery, go to advanced then select wipe dalvik cache
Step-7: Return to the main recovery menu and select install zip from sdcard
Step-8: Select choose zip from sdcard then using the Volume keys navigate to Android 4.4.2 ROM zip which was earlier copied to the SD card of the phone. Select it using the Power button and confirm installation on the next screen. The installation should start now
Step-9: After the installation process is completed, return to the custom recovery screen and reboot the phone by selecting reboot system now. The Galaxy S3 will boot now and take about five minutes to boot on the first time
Galaxy S3 should now be updated with Revolutionary S5 Android 4.4.2 KitKat ROM. Head over to Settings>> About phone to verify the new software version of the device.
[Source: Team Android]