A new OmniROM build is now available for users of the mini Galaxy S3 model awaiting custom firmware based on Lollipop.
It is updated to the latest Omni 5.1.1 code base with build LMY47V for the S3 Mini, which Google has earlier made available for the Nexus 7 models and Nexus 10. Additionally, there are a handful of fixes and customisation in the 5.1.1 release, which is still in its beta phase.
- Updated to latest Omni 5.1.1 code base (LMY47V)
- App Ops: Allow configuration of system apps
- Fixed call drops
- Fixed offline charging
- Button backlight support (including dark mode)
- Battery indicator styles
- Fixed VPN connectivity
What is working
- RIL: Voice calls, SMS, Mobile Data: 2G, 3G up to HSDPA
- Bluetooth (with A2DP and AVRCP support, In-Call Audio (SCO))
- WiFi 802.11a/b/g/n, WiFi tethering ("WiFi Hotspot")
- Multimedia: Audio, Video, Torch LED, Images Gallery, Voice Rec
- Camera (pictures)
- Messaging: Email, SMS/MMS
- LED button backlights
- Battery Saver Mode
- Offline charging
- CPU Deep Sleep support
- Video recording (camcorder)
If you wish to update your S3 Mini to Android 5.1.1 build LMY47V using OmniROM, check out our following installation guide. Note that neither the developer nor IBTimes UK will be liable for any damage to the device during flashing.
- Before following the installation guide, create a backup of all important data of the phone using custom recovery
- Enable USB Debugging on the phone to connect it with the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Navigate to Settings>> About phone. Tap on Build Number several times until a message appears saying 'You are now a Developer.' Now enable USB Debugging Mode by navigating to Settings>> Developer Options.]
- The S3 Mini should have above 80% battery charge to avoid power off during the process which could damage the device
- The phone should be rooted with the latest recovery system installed on it
- As the OmniROM is in development stage, bugs are highly likely
- The OmniROM works with Galaxy S3 Mini GT-I8190. Flashing this on any incorrect variant might brick the device. Therefore, verify the model number of the device
- After flashing the ROM if the device gets stuck on booting animation or experience boot loop then perform wipe cache partition and wipe dalvik cache for a few times before rebooting the device.
- Once the ROM is installed, users are advised to give 10 minutes to the ROM after the device boots up for the first time for better user experience.
How to update Galaxy S3 Mini to Android 5.1.1 build LMY47V with OmniROM
Step-1: Without extracting, copy the downloaded file to your phone's internal storage and remember the location. Note that the files should be in the SD card root, not inside any folder
Step-2: Download TWRP recovery on the S3 Mini
Step-3: Boot the phone into recovery mode. Switch off the phone. Then press Power + Home + Volume Up buttons together until the TWRP logo appears on the screen
Step-4: In the recovery mode, create a backup of the current ROM. Go to the recovery menu and select Backup and do a swipe on the Swipe to Back Up option on the bottom of the screen
Step-5: Once the process is completed, perform a full factory wipe, wipe/system and dalvik cache
Step-6: Return to the main recovery menu and select Install then head over to the location where you have saved the ROM, select it and click Swipe to Confirm Flash option. Wait until the installation is completed
Step-7: Repeat the same process to install Gapps on the phone
Step-8: When the Gapps file is installed, navigate to the TWRP main recovery menu and select Reboot>> System
As the OmniROM is not a pre-rooted custom firmware, you can install SuperSU on your S3 mini if you want root access. Download the latest stable version of SuperSU by Chainfire and then flash it on the phone via TWRP recovery.
Head over to the OmniROM development thread to know more about the new release for S3 Mini shared by XDA forum member golden-guy.