Samsung's flagship smartphone, Galaxy S4 I9505, has received a spate of custom Android 4.2.2 ROMs and official Jelly Bean upgrades in recent times. Until now, Galaxy S4 users had not tasted a hybrid custom ROM that offers a blend of CyanogenMod 10.1, AOKP and ParanoidAndroid in one cool package. Nevertheless, the S4 users can now relish the power and performance of a hybrid custom ROM, thanks to the release of Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean based PACman ROM from the industrious Android developers.
True to its name, the hybrid PACman ROM offers mixed features, apps and functions carefully hand-picked from CM10.1, AOKP and ParanoidAndroid ROMs. The ROM is reportedly bug-free and comes in a highly stable release, which should pave the way for the ultimate custom Android experience to the user.
Key Points to Note
- The PACman Jelly Bean ROM and the instructions given in this guide are meant for the Galaxy S4 I9505 (Snapdragon 600) model only. Verify the device model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Back up data and settings using a recommended custom recovery tool such as ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP, as it creates a complete image of the existing phone setup.
- Verify correct USB drivers for the phone are installed on the computer (download Galaxy S4 I9505 USB drivers)
- Ensure USB debugging mode is enabled on the phone, by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if device is running Android 4.0 or later) or Settings >Applications> Development (if device is running Android 2.3 or earlier). Otherwise if device is running Android 4.2, perform the following steps:
- Go to Settings > About Phone
- Scroll to the bottom of the screen and select Build Number
- Tap the phone's Build Number seven times to unlock or reveal the hidden Developer Options under Settings. Then select the checkbox to enable USB debugging mode under Settings > Developer Options.
- Make sure the phone has at least 80% battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) while installing the ROM.
- Ensure the device is unlocked (not locked to a specific carrier) and rooted with ClockworkMod Recovery (CWM) installed.
- If the device is stuck at booting or is experiencing boot loop issues, perform Wipe Cache Partition and Wipe Dalvik Cache a few more times before rebooting.
- Allow newly installed ROM to stabilise for five minutes before you start working on it.
- Instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only. IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable if device is damaged or bricked during or after the ROM installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
How to Install Android 4.2.2 PACman Jelly Bean ROM on Galaxy S4 I9505
2. Without extracting, copy the downloaded files to the desktop on your computer and then transfer the files to the root folder on your phone's SD card.
3. Power off the phone and disconnect its USB cable from computer.
4. Now reboot the phone into Recovery mode by pressing and holding Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together.
5. Then choose Wipe Data/Factory Reset in the recovery menu. Once the data wipe process completes, perform Wipe Cache Partition and return to the recovery menu by choosing "+++Go Back+++".
6. Now choose Install Zip from SD card and click Choose Zip from SD card. Navigate to the ROM zip file that you copied earlier in step 2 and choose Yes to begin the flashing process. Now, repeat this step to install Google Apps as well.
7 Finally, return to the recovery menu and hit reboot system now to boot up the device into the newly installed ROM. The phone will now reboot and the first boot may take some time. So, leave it alone.
The Samsung Galaxy S4 I9505 is now successfully updated to Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean via PACman ROM. Go to Settings > About Phone to confirm the firmware installed.