Samsung recently released a new, improved version of the Jelly Bean Over-The-Air (OTA) update dubbed as Android 4.2.2 XXUBMEA for Galaxy S4 GT-I9505, which brings a host of bug-fixes and feature enhancements over its previous build. The OTA update as well as manual update via Samsung KIES is officially constrained to Germany. However, those who missed the OTA update notification and those residing outside Germany can still download and install the same manually, using our step-by-step guide given below.
Android 4.2.2 XXUBMEA Jelly Bean Firmware Details:
Date: May, 2013
Key Points to Note
- Android 4.2.2 XXUBMEA official firmware and the instructions provided in this guide are applicable for the Galaxy S4 GT-I9505 model only. Do not attempt installing this firmware on any other device, as it may inadvertently damage or brick the device. Verify your device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Backup your important data and settings on the phone including contacts, messages, photos, videos, MMS and APN settings to an external SD card to prevent data loss while performing any data wipe task during or after firmware installation.
- Unexpected device shutdown during firmware installation may inadvertently damage or hard brick your device. So, it is advisable to ensure the phone has at least 80% battery charge when you begin flashing a custom ROM or official firmware.
- Verify that correct USB drivers for the phone are installed on computer (download Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9505 USB drivers)
- Ensure USB debugging mode is enabled on the phone to facilitate data transfer between phone and computer via USB cable. To enable USB debugging mode, navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if device is running Android 4.0 or later) or Settings > Applications > Development (if device is running Android 2.3 or earlier). If the phone is running Android 4.2, perform the following steps:
- Go to Settings > About Phone
- Scroll to the bottom of the screen and select Build Number
- Tap the phone's Build Number seven times to unlock or reveal the hidden Developer Options under Settings. Then select the checkbox to enable USB debugging mode under Settings > Developer Options.
- Ensure the device is factory unlocked (not locked to a specific carrier) and its bootloader is unlocked.
- The installation of this firmware requires ODIN flash tool, which is designed to work on Windows OS only. Linux and Mac OS users should use CrossOver Utility to run ODIN on their computer.
- Instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only. IBTimes UK will not be held liable if the device is damaged or bricked during or after firmware installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
How to Install Official Android 4.2.2 XXUBMEA Jelly Bean OTA on Galaxy S4 GT-I9505
Step 1: Download Android 4.2.2 XXUBMEA Jelly Bean firmware for Galaxy S4 GT-I9505 and Odin v3.07 on the computer.
Step 2: Extract the firmware zip file to the desktop to get a .tar.md5 file and some other files (optional).
Step 3: Extract Odin zip file to obtain Odin3 v3.07.exe along with few other files.
Step 4: Power off the phone and wait for vibration (about 5-6 seconds) to confirm complete device shutdown. Now boot the phone into Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down, Home and Power button together until a construction Android robot icon with a triangle appears on screen. Then hit Volume Up button to enter Download Mode.
Step 5: Launch Odin3 v3.07.exe that you obtained in Step 3 as an Administrator, as Admin privileges are required to complete the firmware installation process smoothly.
Step 6: Connect your phone to computer via USB cable. When the device connects successfully, the message saying "Added!" appears in ODIN and the ID: COM box will turn yellow with the corresponding COM port number. If the message fails to appear, try reinstalling the phone's USB drivers or changing the port on the computer.
Step 7: Choose the following files from I9505XXUBMEA folder that you obtained in Step 2 in Odin using respective checkboxes:
- Select the PDA checkbox, and click the .tar.md5 file
- Tap the Phone checkbox, and select the file named 'modem' (ignore if such file is not found)
- Choose the CSC checkbox, and click the file named'CSC'(ignore if there is no such file)
- Click the PIT checkbox, and choose the '.pit' file (ignore if the file is missing)
Step 8: In Odin, enable Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options by selecting the checkboxes. But, the Re-Partition checkbox must be selected, only if a .pit file was chosen in the previous step in ODIN.
Step 9: To prevent ROM related errors, verify Step 7 and Step 8 are done correctly. Then hit the START button to begin flashing the firmware.
Step 10: Once the firmware installation is complete, the phone will reboot automatically and soon a PASS message with green background appears in the left-most box at the very top of Odin. Now it is safe to disconnect the USB cable to remove the device from computer.
The Galaxy S4 GT-I9505 is now running on the latest Android 4.2.2 XXUBMEA Jelly Bean OTA firmware. Go to Settings > About Phone to verify the firmware installed.
If the phone is stuck at boot animation or Samsung logo after Step 10, then go to recovery mode (press and hold the Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together) and perform Wipe data/Factory Reset as well as Wipe Cache Partition before choosing reboot system now option. Use Volume keys to navigate between options and Power key to select an option in recovery. Please note that performing data wipe task will only erase your phone's internal memory and not the data on SD card.
[Source: Droid Firmwares]