The Mini version of Galaxy S4 can now be upgraded to Android 4.4.2 KitKat using the Resurrection Remix ROM, which is based on a number of popular Android custom ROMs such as AOKP, CyanogenMod, Paranoid Android, Omni and the original Remix ROM builds.
The Resurrection Remix firmware offers a combination of performance enhancements, customisations, power and various new features.
The Resurrection Remix ROM adds support for both 3G and LTE version of Galaxy S4 Mini bearing model numbers GT-I9190 and GT-I9195 respectively. This custom build has been shared by recognised XDA contributor, Silesh.Nair.
Below is the changelog for latest Resurrection Remix build for Galaxy S4 Mini.
Resurrection Remix ROM features
Application side bar
Notification panel tweaks
Pitch Black UI Mode
Custom system animations
Custom progress bar
Hardware buttons and navbar options
Status bar traffic monitor
Battery bar options
SB Brightness slider
Lockscreen see blur and reduce slider
Show Wi-Fi name
Low battery warning
Lock clock widget
Lockscreen options and targets
Center Clock/No clock/Right Clock
AM/PM,date and colors
New Wallpaper app
Nova/Stock launcher included
Head over to the development thread to know more about Resurrection Remix ROM.
Interested users who wish to install Android 4.4.2 KitKat on their devices using Resurrection Remix ROM, may follow our step-by-step guide.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held responsible for any damage to the device. Before following the installation guide, users are advised to verify their devices meet the following requirements.
1) Install USB Drivers for Galaxy S4 Mini to transfer files between the Android device and the computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode on the phone to connect it with the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Navigate to Settings>> About phone. Tap on Build Number several times until a message appears saying 'You are now a Developer.' Now enable USB Debugging Mode by navigating to Settings>> Developer Options.]
3) As the tutorial might wipe out all data off the phone, create a backup. If the device has any custom recovery such as ClockworkMod or TWRP then back up data using the same.
4) If the Android phone powers off due to lack of battery during the process, it could damage the device. Therefore, the Galaxy S4 Mini should have above 80% battery charge.
5) The phone should be rooted and have the latest version of ClockworkMod recovery.
6) Android 4.4.2 KitKat Resurrection Remix ROM works only with Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini GT-I9195/GT-I9190. As applying this to any incorrect variant might brick the device, verify the model number of S4 Mini by navigating to Settings>> About phone>> Model number.
7) After flashing the ROM if the device gets stuck on the Booting animation or experience boot loop then perform wipe cache partition and wipe dalvik cache for a few times before rebooting the device.
8) Once the ROM is installed, users are advised to give 10 minutes to the ROM after the device boots up for the first time for better user experience.
How to install Android 4.4.2 KitKat on Galaxy S4 Mini with Resurrection Remix ROM
Step-1: Connect and mount Galaxy S4 Mini USB memory on the computer using USB cable. Now copy the downloaded zip files to the SD card of the phone. Ensure the files are in the SD card root, not in any folder
Step-2: Unplug the USB cable from the phone and switch it off
Step-3: Place the phone into CWM recovery mode. Turn the phone on while pressing and holding Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together
Step-4: In recovery mode, perform a full data wipe by selecting wipe data/ factory reset. Use the Power button to select while in Recovery Mode
Step-5: Perform a cache wipe by selecting wipe cache partition
Step-6: Perform a wipe of dalvik cache. This is optional but users are recommended to do this, so that the device will not get into boot loops or any other errors. From CWM recovery, go to advanced then select wipe dalvik cache
Step-7: Return to the main recovery menu and select install zip from sdcard
Step-8: Select choose zip from sdcard. Using the Volume keys navigate to Android 4.4.2 ROM zip, which was earlier copied to the Phone's SD card. Select it using the Power button and confirm installation on the next screen
Step-9: After the ROM is installed, repeat the procedure to install Gapps file on the phone
Step-10: When the installation process is completed, go to +++++Go Back +++++ and reboot the phone by selecting reboot system now
The Galaxy S4 Mini will boot now and it would take about five minutes to boot for the first time
Resurrection Remix ROM featuring Android 4.4.2 KitKat should now be installed on Galaxy S4 Mini. Navigate to Settings>> About phone to verify the new software version running on the device.
[Source: Team Android]