Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 users who have lost the warranty of the devices running on custom builds and wish to go back to stock official firmware may follow our step-by-step guide to unroot the device. The 10.1 in Galaxy tablet was first shipped with Ice Cream Sandwich software and later upgraded to the Android version 4.1.2.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any mishap. Users are also advised to ensure that their handsets meet the following requirements.
1) Install USB Drivers for Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 to transfer files between the Android device and the computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode on the tablet to connect it with the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Press Menu>> Settings>> Applications. From there navigate and click on Development option and check USB Debugging Mode.]
3) As the tutorial might wipe out all data of the phone, create a backup. If the device is having any custom recoveries such as ClockworkMod/TWRP installed, then backup data using the recovery.
4) The tablet should be rooted.
5) The device should be factory unlocked and not locked to a particular carrier.
6) Verify the Galaxy tablet should have above 80% battery charge.
7) The stock official firmware works only on Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 P5100/P5110/P5113. As flashing this on any incorrect variant is likely to brick the device, verify the model number of the Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 by navigating to Settings>> About tablet>> Model number and install firmware accordingly.
Steps to unroot Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 to stock official firmware
Step-1: Download appropriate stock official firmware (according to region) for Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 to computer
Step-2: Extract the downloaded zip to get a file with .tar. md5 extension along with some other files
Step-3: Download Odin3 v3.07. Extract the zip to get Odin3 v3.07.exe file with few others
Step-4: Turn off the Galaxy tablet and wait for five to six seconds for vibration to confirm complete power off
Step-5: Boot the tablet into Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down and Power buttons together until a warning screen appears on the tablet's screen. Now press the Volume Up button to continue to enter into Download Mode
Step-6: Run Odin3 v3.07.exe as Administrator
Step-7: Connect the tablet to the computer using the USB cable while the phone is in Download Mode. Wait until Odin detects the device. When it is connected successfully, an Added message will appear under Odin's message box. Additionally, the ID: COM box in Odin will turn blue with COM port number indicating successful connection.
Note: If the Added message does not appear, then try the USB port at the back of the computer. If Odin still fails to recognsie the device then re-install USB Driver.
Step-8: Select these files extracted from stock firmware folder to install on the tablet
a) Click PDA button and select file with .tar.md5 extension
b) Click Phone button and select file with Modem in its name
c) Click CSC button and select file with CSC in its name
d) Click PIT button and select the .pit file
Note: Ignore last three steps (b, c and d) if such files are not found.
Step-9: Configure Odin settings. Ensure Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time checkboxes are selected. But uncheck Re-Partition option; select it only when .pit file is being used
Step-10: Double check everything and click the Start button in Odin. The installation should begin now and would take a few minutes to complete
Step-11: When the installation process is completed, the phone will restart automatically. Following this, a PASS message with green background will appear in a box at the extreme left of Odin indicating successful installation. Unplug the USB cable from the phone to disconnect it from the computer
As the Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 boots up successfully, it should be unrooted and running on stock official firmware. Head over to Settings>> About tablet to verify the software version of the device.
[Source: The Unlockr]