Recently, a spate of Jelly Bean devices received the latest build of Android 4.2.2 CyanogenMod 10.1 Nightly ROM, thanks to the industrious CyanogenMod team. Now the Galaxy Note 10.1 N8000 joins the list of CyanogenMod 10.1 Nightly devices, which includes Galaxy Note 2 N7100, Galaxy S2 GT-I9100, Nexus 7 3G, HTC One X and Xperia Z.
The CM10.1 ROM is based on the original Android Open Source Project (AOSP), which is designed to deliver superior performance and stability than stock Android. IBTimes UK brings you a step-by-step guide to install Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean on Galaxy Note 10.1 N8000 via latest CyanogenMod 10.1 Nightly ROM, courtesy of Droid Firmwares:
Key Points to Note
- CyanogenMod 10.1 Nightly ROM and the instructions provided in this guide are limited to Galaxy Note 10.1 N8000 model only. Do not attempt this installation on any other device, as it may inadvertently brick or damage the device. Verify the device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Tablet.
- Backup your important data and settings on the tablet to avoid data loss while performing any data wiping task during or after firmware installation.
- Make sure the correct USB drivers are installed for your tablet on the computer (download Galaxy Note 10.1 N8000 USB drivers)
- Enable USB Debugging mode on the device by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if device is running Android 4.0 or later) or go to Settings > Applications > Development (if tablet is running Android 2.3 or earlier). Otherwise if device is running Android 4.2, then do the following steps:
- Go to Settings > About Tablet
- Navigate to the bottom of the screen and select Build Number
- Tap the Build Number seven times until Developer Options is unlocked or revealed under Settings. Then select the checkbox to enable USB Debugging mode under settings > Developer Options.
- Ensure the device is rooted with ClockworkMod recovery (CWM) installed on it.
- Verify that the device has at least 80% battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) during firmware installation.
- Allow the newly installed ROM to stabilize for about five to ten minutes before you start working on it.
- If Status 7 error appears on screen, it could be due to an incompatible device being flashed or a related kernel might be missing (for instance, it is necessary to install a Jelly Bean kernel first, before installing any Jelly Bean ROM).
How to Install Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean on Galaxy Note 10.1 N8000 via Latest CyanogenMod 10.1 Nightly ROM
Step 1: Download CyanogenMod 10.1 Nightly ROM (Release Dated 18 June 2013) for Galaxy Note 2 N7100 and Google Apps.
Step 2: Connect your tablet to computer via USB cable and then mount its storage.
Step 3: Without extracting, copy the downloaded zip files to the root folder on your device's SD card.
Step 4: After the file transfer process is complete, Power off the tablet and disconnect its USB cable from computer.
Step 5: Now boot the tablet into ClockworkMod Recovery by pressing and holding Volume Up and Power button together until the Samsung logo appears on screen. Then release the Power button, but continue holding the Volume Up button. [NOTE: Use volume buttons to navigate and Power button to select an option in Recovery].
Step 6: Perform a Nandroid backup of your existing ROM so that it can be restored later if the new ROM fails to work or you want to return to the original ROM. To do a backup, click Backup and Restore, then hit Backup again on next screen. Return to main recovery menu once backup is complete.
Step 7: Perform a full data wipe task to eliminate conflicts between newly installed ROM and previous ROM. To do so, first choose wipe data/factory reset and then click Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait for a few minutes until the data wipe process completes. Now return to CWM recovery main menu and select wipe cache partition. Wait until the wiping process completes and choose Wipe Dalvik Cache under advance option. Once the entire data-wiping process completes, you can safely proceed to the next step.
Step 8: Choose Install Zip from SD card and then click Choose Zip from SD card. Now, navigate to the cm-10.1-20130618-NIGHTLY-n8000.zip file that you copied earlier in Step 3 and select it by tapping Power button. Confirm the ROM installation on next screen and soon its installation will begin.
Step 9: After the ROM installation completes, repeat the step 8 but choose gapps-jb-20130301-signed.zip instead of ROM zip to install Google apps package.
Step 10: Once both the ROM and Google apps are installed, return to the main recovery menu and hit reboot system now. The tablet will now reboot into the newly installed ROM. However, the first boot may take about 5 to 15 minutes to complete. So, do not interrupt the process.
Returning to Previous ROM: To return to your previous ROM: boot the device into recovery, choose Backup and Restore then restore your original ROM by choosing it from the list.
Congratulations! Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean based latest CyanogenMod 10.1 Nightly ROM is now installed and running on your Galaxy Note 10.1 N8000. Go to Settings > About Tablet to confirm the firmware installed.