Samsung recently rolled out its latest official Jelly Bean firmware, Android 4.1.2 XWLSS, for Galaxy S2 I9100 users in Europe (including the Baltic and Nordic countries). Those who have already updated their device to the latest official firmware can now root the same by using our step-by-step guide given below.
NOTE: Rooting is essential to regain full system access and be able to install third-party root apps, custom ROMs and latest system tweaks on the device. However, rooting your device will void its warranty. The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only. IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable if the device is damaged or bricked during or after the root installation process. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
- Siyah Kernel Root package and the instructions given in this guide are limited to the international variant Galaxy S2 I9100 only and will not work on any other device. Verify the device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Back up important data and settings on phone using one of the recommended custom recovery tools such as ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP, as it creates a complete image of the existing phone setup.
- Make sure that the phone has at least 80 per cent battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) during root installation, as this may inadvertently brick or damage the device.
- Verify that the correct USB drivers are installed for the phone on computer (download Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 USB drivers).
- Ensure that USB Debugging mode is enabled on the phone navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if the device is running on Android 4.0 or later) or Settings > Applications > Development (if the phone is running on Android 2.3 or earlier).
- Double check to see that the device is factory unlocked (not locked to a specific carrier) with Odin installed on it.
How to Root Galaxy S2 I9100 on Official Android 4.1.2 XWLSS Jelly Bean Firmware
- Download Samsung KIES utility to install the necessary USB drivers for the phone.
- Download Siyah Kernel (Siyah-s2-v6.0b4.tar) and Odin flash tool (Odin307.zip).
- Extract the root package file which you downloaded in the previous step to obtain a '.tar' file along with other files.
- Now extract Odin zip file to receive Odin executable file, Odin3 v3.07.exe.
- Power off the phone and boot it into Download mode. To do so, press and hold Volume Down, Home and Power button until the device turns on. Then hit the Volume Up button to enter Download mode.
- Connect the phone to computer with USB cable. On successful connection, Odin will detect the device and ID: COM box will indicate yellow with the corresponding COM port number. A message reading "Added!" should now appear on the screen. Just re-install the phone drivers on computer, if Odin fails to detect the device.
- Click the PDA checkbox in Odin. Now, browse and select the '.tar' file which you extracted earlier in step 3.
- In Odin, ensure Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time options are enabled by selecting the checkboxes. But, the Re-Partition option must be unchecked.
- Hit the Start button in Odin to begin the root installation process. A PASS message with a green background appears on the screen, when the root installation is complete. Now, disconnect the phone from computer and allow it to reboot automatically.
Galaxy S2 I9100 is now successfully rooted on the newly installed Android 4.1.2 XWLSS Jelly Bean official firmware. Go to Settings > About Phone to verify the firmware version installed.
[Source: Best Android Stuffs]