The CyanogenMod team has officially announced the first Release Candidate (RC1) builds of CyanogenMod 10.1.0 (CM10.1.0). The team has this time added support for a total of 40 Android devices. The CM10.1.0 RC1 build is based on the latest Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean and brings several customised features.
Release Candidate version means these builds are the most stable and can be installed for daily use. Additionally, the RC version completely replaces the original stock firmware. Head over to the development page to learn more about the new custom release.
The CM10.1.0 RC1 custom build is also available for Samsung's second Galaxy S series smartphone bearing model number I9100G. Galaxy S2 users who wish to upgrade their devices to Android 4.2.2 using the CM10.1.0 RC1 may follow our step-by-step guide.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held responsible for any mishap. Before installing the custom firmware, users are advised to verify that their handsets meet the following requirements.
1) Install USB Drivers for Samsung Galaxy S2 to transfer files between the Android device and computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode on the phone to connect it with the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Press Menu>> Settings>> Applications. From there navigate and click on Development option and ensure the USB Debugging Mode is turned on.]
3) As the tutorial is likely to wipe all data of the phone, create a backup. If the device is having any custom recoveries such as ClockworkMod/TWRP already installed then backup data using the recovery.
4) The Galaxy S2 should have above 80% battery charge.
5) The phone should be rooted and have ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery installed. Follow the guide here to root and install CWM recovery on Galaxy S2 I9100G.
6) The CM10.1 RC1 build works only on the Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100G. Flashing this on an incorrect variant might brick the device. Therefore, verify the model number of Galaxy S2 by navigating to Settings>> About phone.
7) After flashing the ROM if the device gets stuck on Booting animation or experience boot loop then perform wipe cache partition and wipe dalvik cache five more times and then reboot the device.
Steps to install CM10.1 RC1 Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean ROM on Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100G
Step-1: Download CM10.1 RC1 Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean ROM for Samsung Galaxy S2 to the computer
Step-2: Download Google Apps package
Step-3: Connect the Galaxy S2 to the computer using USB cable. Then copy both the downloaded zip files to the SD card of the phone
Step-4: Disconnect the phone from the computer and switch it off. Wait for about five to six seconds to complete the power down cycle
Step-5: Boot the phone into recovery mode. Press and hold Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together until the screen of the phone flashes then release all three buttons. The Galaxy S2 will be in recovery mode soon
Note: In recovery mode, use the Volume buttons to scroll between options and Power button to select the desired option.
Step-6: Once the device is in recovery mode, perform a Nandroid backup of the existing ROM which can be restored later in case the new ROM does not work or users wish to go back to the previous firmware. To perform Nandroid backup select Backup and Restore then on the next screen select Backup again. When backup is completed, return to the main recovery menu
Step-7: Perform data wiping task to avoid clash between the new ROM and the previous ROM. Select wipe data/ factory reset then select Yes on the next screen to confirm the action. Wait for few minutes until the data wiping process is completed then go back to the CWM recovery menu. Select wipe cache partition then select Wipe Dalvik Cache under the advance option to perform Dalvik cache wiping. Once the action is completed, return to the recovery menu
Step-8: Select install zip from sdcard and then select choose zip from sdcard. Now navigate to the CM10.1 RC1 Jelly Bean ROM zip file earlier copied to the SD card of the phone. Select it pressing the Power button and confirm installation by selecting Yes on the next screen. The ROM installation should begin now
Step-9: After the ROM is installed, follow the same procedure (step-8) but now choose the Google apps package to install the same
Step-10: When the flashing process is completed, go back to the main recovery menu and reboot the phone by selecting reboot system now. The device will reboot now and boot up into the customised CM10.1 RC1 build. The phone will take some time to boot up for the first time, so be patient
As the Samsung Galaxy S2 boots up successfully, it should be updated with CM10.1 RC1 Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean ROM. Head over to Settings>> About Phone to verify the software version running on the device.
Note: In order to go back to the previous ROM, boot the phone into recovery, select Backup and Restore then restore the ROM by selecting it from the list.
Click here for guide to install CM10.1.0 RC5 Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean on Galaxy S2 GT-I9100G.