The CyanogenMod team ecently rolled out fifth Release Candidate (RC5) builds of CyanogenMod 10.1.0 (CM10.1.0) for multiple Android devices. The RC builds are said to be the most stable version of firmware and can be installed for daily use. Besides, the new custom release integrates several customised features, tweaks and improvements.
The RC5 build is available for Samsung's second Galaxy S series smartphone with model number GT-I9100G, which is currently running on Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean.
Galaxy S2 users who wish to upgrade their devices to Android 4.2.2 with CM10.1.0 RC5 may follow our step-by-step guide.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held responsible for any mishap. Users are also advised to verify that their devices meet following requirements.
1) Install USB Drivers for Samsung Galaxy S2 to transfer files between the Android device and computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode on the phone to connect it with the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Press Menu>> Settings>> Applications. From there navigate and click on Development option and ensure the USB Debugging Mode is turned on.]
3) As the tutorial is likely to wipe out all data of the phone, create a backup. If the handset is having any custom recoveries such as ClockworkMod/TWRP already installed then back up data using the recovery.
4) The Galaxy S2 should have above 80 per cent of battery charge.
5) The phone should be rooted and have ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery already installed. Click here for step-by-step guide to root Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100G on Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean and install CWM recovery.
6) The CM10.1.0 RC5 works only on Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100G. As flashing this on any incorrect variant might brick the device, verify the model number of the Galaxy device by navigating to Settings>> About phone>> Model number.
7) After flashing the ROM if the device gets stuck on Booting animation or experience boot loop, then perform wipe cache partition and wipe dalvik cache five more times and then reboot the device.
Steps to install CM10.1.0 RC5 Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean on Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100G
Step-1: Download CM10.10.1 RC5 Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean build for Samsung Galaxy S2 to the computer
Step-2: Download Google Apps package
Step-3: Connect the Galaxy S2 to the computer using USB cable. Then copy both the downloaded zip files to the SD card of the phone. Do not extract any file
Step-4: Disconnect the phone from the computer and then turn it off. Wait for about five to six seconds to complete the power down cycle
Step-5: Boot the phone into recovery mode by pressing and holding Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together until the Samsung logo appears on the screen then release all three buttons. After a few seconds the phone will enter into recovery mode
Note: In recovery mode, use the Volume buttons to scroll between options and Power button to select the desired option.
Step-6: Once the device is in the recovery mode, perform a Nandroid backup of the existing ROM which can be restored later in case the new ROM does not work or users wish to go back to the previous firmware. To perform Nandroid backup select Backup and Restore then on the next screen select Backup again. When backup process is done, go back to the main recovery menu
Step-7: Perform data wiping task to eliminate clash between the new ROM and the previous ROM. Select wipe data/ factory reset then select Yes on the next screen to confirm the action. Wait for a few minutes until the data wiping process is completed then go back to the CWM recovery menu. Select wipe cache partition then select Wipe Dalvik Cache under the advance option to perform Dalvik cache wiping. Once the action is completed, return to the recovery menu
Step-8: Select install zip from sdcard and then select choose zip from sdcard. Now navigate to the cm-10.1.0-RC5-I9100G zip which was earlier copied to the SD card of the phone. Press the Power button to select it and then confirm installation by selecting Yes on the next screen. The ROM installation should begin now
Step-9: After the ROM is installed, follow the same procedure (step-8) but now choose the Google apps package to install the same
Step-10: Whenthe installation process is completed, go back to the main recovery menu and reboot the phone by selecting reboot system now. The device will reboot now and boot up into the customised CM10.1.0 RC5 build. The device will take about five minutes to boot up for the first time
CM10.1.0 RC5 build featuring Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean should now be installed and running on Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100G. Head over to Settings>> About Phone to verify the new software version of the device.
Note: To go back to the previous ROM, boot the phone into recovery, select Backup and Restore then restore the ROM by selecting it from the list.