An official software Over-The-Air (OTA) update is rolling out for the international version of Samsung Galaxy S3 with model number GT-I9300. The update is originally for the Galaxy S3 users from Turkey, but users from supported regions can also install the update using Odin.
Version: Android 4.1.2
Built date: May, 2013
Those who are having an unrooted version of the device with no custom build installed can connect their devices to the computer and install the update through the Samsung KIES server. The XXEMD3 build is a completely unbranded version of firmware and can be installed on any GT-I9300 unit except those which are brought from China, Hong Kong and Taiwan.
Galaxy S3 users who fail to install Android 4.1.2 XXEMD3 Jelly Bean using the official method for being region-specific, may follow our step-by-step guide to install the same manually.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held responsible for any damage to the device. Users are also advised to verify that their devices meet the following requirements.
1) Install USB Drivers for Samsung Galaxy S3 to connect the Android device with computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode on the phone to connect it with the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Press Menu>> Settings>> Applications. From there navigate and click on Development option and ensure the USB Debugging Mode is turned on.]
3) As the tutorial might wipe out all data of the phone, create a backup. If the device is having any custom recoveries such as ClockworkMod/TWRP already installed then back up data using the recovery.
4) The battery of Galaxy S3 should have charge above 80%.
5) The device should be factory unlocked and not locked to a particular carrier.
6) The phone will lose custom ROM with the installation of official firmware. Also, it will lose custom recovery such as CWM/TWRP which will be replaced by stock recovery.
7) The device will no longer belong to a rooted version once official build is installed.
8) The Android 4.1.2 XXEMD3 Jelly Bean works only on Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300. As flashing this on any other variant might brick the device, verify the model number of the Galaxy device by navigating to Settings>> About Phone>> Model number.
Steps to install Android 4.1.2 XXEMD3 Jelly Bean on Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300
Step-1: Download Android 4.1.2 XXEMD3 Jelly Bean official update for Samsung Galaxy S3 to the computer
Step-2: Extract the downloaded firmware zip file to get a .tar.md5 file with some other files
Step-3: Download Odin v3.07 which will help to install the Jelly Bean firmware. Extract Odin zip to get Odin3 v3.07.exe along with few other files
Step-4: Switch off the Galaxy S3 and wait for five to six seconds for vibration to confirm complete power off. Now boot the phone into Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down, Home and Power buttons together until a construction Android robot appears on the phone's screen. Then press the Volume Up button again to continue to enter Download Mode
Step-5: Run Odin3 v3.07.exe as an Administrator
Step-6: Connect the Galaxy S3 to the computer using USB cable while it is in the Download Mode. Wait until Odin detects the device. When the phone is connected successfully, the ID: COM box in Odin will turn yellow with COM port number. Also, the successful connection will be indicated by an Added message in Odin.
Note: If the Added message does not appear, then try the USB port at the back of the computer. In case that too does not work, then re-install USB driver.
Step-7: Select these files extracted from I9300XXEMD3 folder to install on the phone
a) Click the PDA and select the file with .tar.md5 extension
b) Click the Phone and select file with MODEM in its name
c) Click the CSC and select file with CSC in its name
d) Click the PIT and select the .pit file
Note: Ignore the last three steps (b, c and d) if such files are not found.
Step-8: In Odin, verify the Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time checkboxes are selected. But uncheck the Re-Partition option; click it only when a .pit file is being used
Step-9: Hit the Start button in Odin. The installation should begin now and would take few minutes to complete
Step-10: When the installation process is completed, the phone will then restart automatically. Soon, a PASS message with green background will appear in the extreme left box at the very top of Odin indicating successful installation. After the home screen appears on the phone, unplug the USB cable from the device to disconnect it from the computer
Android 4.1.2 XXEMD3 Jelly Bean official firmware should be now installed and running on Samsung Galaxy S3. Head over to Settings>> About Phone to verify the new software version of the device.
If the Galaxy S3 gets stuck at boot animation or Samsung logo after step-10, then boot the device into recovery mode by pressing and holding the Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together. Perform a data wiping task by selecting Wipe data/factory reset and then select Wipe Cache Partition. Once the wiping task is done, reboot the phone by selecting reboot system now. In recovery mode, use Volume keys to navigate between options and Power button to select the desired option. Performing wiping function will erase the internal memory data of the device.
Click hereforguideto install Android 4.2.2 XXUFME7 Jelly Bean test firmware on Galaxy S3 I9300.
[Source: Droid Fimrwares]