Another Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean test firmware, with build version XXUFME7, has recently leaked for the international version of third generation Galaxy S smartphone bearing model number GT-I9300. The new build is originally for Europe and brings several new features for Galaxy S3.
Version: Android 4.2.2-JDQ39 (Jelly Bean)
Build date: 21 May, 2013
Android 4.2.2 XXUFME7 Jelly Bean features
Android 4.2.2- Build ID: JDQ39
New S4 lockscreen: Multiple widgets, two unlock effect (Ripple and Light), improved ripple effect than Android 4.1.2, ability to change clock size and set a personal message
New Screen modes (From S4): Adapt Display and Professional Photo
New additions in Notification Center
Completely revamped Settings UI (Tablet interface- Exactly like the S4)
Addition of Voice controls (Enables to control various parts of the phone using voice commands-Galaxy S4 feature)
Gallery modes have white background (When changing gallery modes to 3D, the background changes to white)
Full screen Samsung apps
New S-Voice (From S4)
New smart switch widget
Galaxy S3 users, who have already installed Android 4.2.2 XXUFME7 Jelly Bean on their devices and are currently looking for a root method, may follow our step-by-step guide. The tutorial uses CF-Root package released by recognised XDA developer, Chainfire.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any mishap. Users are also advised to verify that their devices meet following requirements.
1) Install USB driver for Samsung Galaxy S3 to transfer files between the Android device and computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode on the phone to connect the Android device with the computer and use the Android SDK with it. [Press Menu>> Settings>> Applications. From there navigate and click on Development option then check the USB Debugging Mode.]
3) As the tutorial is likely to wipe all data of the phone, create a back-up for the same. If the device is having any custom recoveries such as CWM/TWRP already installed then backup the data using the recovery.
4) The Galaxy S3 should have above 80 per cent of battery charge.
5) The phone should be factory unlocked and not locked to a particular carrier.
6) The device will lose manufacturer's warranty once it is rooted. But users can reclaim the warranty back by unrooting the device later. Click here for our guide to unroot Samsung Galaxy S3 to stock official firmware and reclaim warranty.
7) The CF-Root package works only on the Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300. Flashing this on any incorrect variant might brick the device. Therefore, verify the model number of the Galaxy device by selecting Settings>> About device>> Model number.
Steps to root Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 on Android 4.2.2 XXUFME7 Jelly Bean
Step-1: Download root package for Samsung Galaxy S3 to the computer
File name: CF-Root-SGS3-v6.4.zip
Step-2: Extract the downloaded root zip to get a .tar.md5 file within it
Step-3: Download Odin v3.07 which will help to root the Android 4.2.2 firmware on Galaxy S3. Extract the Odin zip to get Odin3 v3.07.exe with some other files
Step-4: Switch off the Galaxy S3 and wait for five to six seconds for the vibration to confirm complete power off. Now boot the phone into Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down and Home buttons together and then press the Power button until the construction Android robot and a triangle appears on the screen. Now press the Power button again to continue to enter into Download Mode
Step-5: Run Odin3 v3.07.exe as an Administrator
Step-6: Connect the Galaxy S3 to the computer using USB cable while it is in the Download Mode. Wait for some time until Odin detects the device. When the phone is connected successfully, the ID: COM box in Odin will turn yellow with the COM port number. Also, the successful connection will be indicated by an Added message in Odin. This step is likely to take some time
Note: If the Added message does not come then try another USB port, try the one located at the back side of the computer. In case Odin still fails to recognise the device then re-install USB driver.
Step-7: In Odin, click on PDA button and select the CF-Root-SGS3-v6.4.tar file
Step-8: Verify the Auto-Reboot and F.Reset Time checkboxes are selected in Odin window. But keep the Re-Partition option unchecked
Step-9: When everything is set, click the Start button in Odin. The installation process should begin now and would take few minutes to complete
Step-10: Once the installation process is completed, the phone will restart automatically. The ID: COM box in Odin will then turn green indicating successful installation. Now safely unplug the USB cable from the phone to disconnect it from the computer
Samsung Galaxy S3 running on Android 4.2.2 XXUFME7 Jelly Bean test firmware should be now rooted successfully. To verify the root status of the device, install the Root Checker app from Google Play Store.
Click here for giude to install XXEMG4 Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean on Galaxy S3 I9300
[Source: Android Advices]