Leonardo DiCaprio and his movie The Revenant took the plaudits at the 73rd Annual Golden Globe Awards, with best actor, director and picture wins. However, jibes from British comedian and actor Ricky Gervais at the guests, in his presenting role, was another highlight of the evening.
The host kicked off his opening monologue saying: "Shut up, you disgusting, pill-popping, sexual-deviant scum." During the ceremony, Mel Gibson, Caitlyn Jenner, Ben Affleck, Charlie Sheen and Bill Cosby were at the receiving end of the comedian's jokes.
Here are some of Gervais's infamous quotes from the coveted awards show:
1."I'm going to get this monologue out of the way and then go into hiding. Not even Sean Penn will find me... Snitch"
2. "I've got three [Golden Globes awards]. One's a door stop. One I use to hit burglars with. And one I keep by the bed 'cause... doesn't matter why. It's mine. I won it fair and square. It is just the right shape and size. So, to be clear, that was a joke about me shoving Golden Globes, that I've won, up my ass. And they asked me to host four times!"
3. "I'm gonna be nice tonight — I've changed. Not as much as Bruce Jenner, obviously. Now Caitlyn Jenner, of course. What a year she's had. She became a role model for trans people everywhere, showing great bravery in breaking down barriers and destroying stereotypes. She didn't do a lot for women drivers."
4. "Eva Longoria and America Ferrera are not only beautiful and talented actresses, they are also two people who your future president Donald Trump can't wait to deport."
5. "Joy and Trainwreck, no not the names of Charlie Sheen's two favourite hookers... the films of our next two presenters."
6. "He's been the only person Ben Affleck hasn't been unfaithful to. Please welcome Matt Damon."
Though the one-liners sound a bit cruel towards the celebrities, fans have reacted positively to the 54-year-old English comedian.
— Will (@WillSallows) January 11, 2016
— Daniel Eliesen (@DanielEliesen) January 11, 2016
— Heather Johnson (@heatherj750) January 11, 2016
— Khyle Evans (@KhyleEvans) January 11, 2016