Christians all over the world will commemorate Jesus Christ's crucifixion and his death at Calvary on Good Friday. Considered the saddest day by the Christian church, the day will be observed on 25 March this year.
Good Friday is observed on the Friday before Easter Sunday, and is a commemoration of the crucifixion of Jesus Christ, and the suffering that led up to that historic moment. The day is one of the most important day for Catholics and is one of the most solemn holy days of the year.
Devotees will spend the day reflecting on the Passion of the Christ, and the idea that he gave his life for mankind. Many would also observe fast to mark the occasion.
IBTimes UK has compiled quotes to share with family and friends to commemorate the day:
1. "Arise, shine; for thy light is come, and the glory of the LORD is risen upon thee. For, behold, the darkness shall cover the earth, and gross darkness the people: but the LORD shall arise upon thee, and his glory shall be seen upon thee." – Isaiah 60:1-2
2. Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed. – Peter 2:24
3. "Our Lord has written the promise of the resurrection, not in books alone but in every leaf in springtime." – Martin Luther
4. "No pain, no palm; no thorns, no throne; no gall, no glory; no cross, no crown." – William Penn
5. For he taught his disciples, and said unto them, The Son of man is delivered into the hands of men, and they shall kill him; and after that he is killed, he shall rise the third day. – Mark 9:31
6. "To holy people the very name of Jesus is a name to feed upon, a name to transport. His name can raise the dead and transfigure and beautify the living." – John Henry Newman
7. "The dripping blood our only drink,The bloody flesh our only food:In spite of which we like to thinkThat we are sound, substantial flesh and blood -Again, in spite of that, we call this Friday good." – T.S. Eliot
8. "Jesus said to her, 'I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die'" – John 11:25-26
9. "Exalt the Cross! God has hung the destiny of the race upon it. Other things we may do in the realm of ethics, and on the lines of philanthropic reforms; but our main duty converges into setting that one glorious beacon of salvation, Calvary's Cross, before the gaze of every immortal soul." – Theodore Ledyard Cuyler
10. "I believe in person to person. Every person is Christ for me, and since there is only one Jesus, that person is the one person in the world at that moment." – Mother Teresa