Google's Nexus line of smartphones has been getting a constant rush of Jelly Bean ROM updates in recent times. Nexus S 4G is the latest to get custom ROM based Android 4.1 Jelly Bean update.
Thanks to XDA senior member, MichaelCampos, Rasbeanjelly ROM based Jelly Bean update is now available for Nexus S 4G users. This custom ROM is designed to offer pure and seamless Android experience together with feature enhancements and performance optimisation in the ROM. Some of the notable feature enhancements include butter smooth performance, improved actionable notifications, faster browser, smarter keyboard, advanced voice recognition, etc. Nevertheless, as the XDA developer notes, Rasbeanjelly ROM seems to have one major limitation - cannot connect USB storage devices.
Key Points to Note
- This custom ROM and the instructions provided in this guide will work only with the Nexus S 4G, model number SPH-D720. It's not compatible with any other device including US variants. Please verify your model number by navigating to Settings > About phone.
- The instructions in the guide and the ROM update are meant for reference purpose only. It does not cover any warranty claims or offer support for issues arising after the installation of this ROM.
- IBTimes UK advises users to backup important personal data (bookmarks, contacts, SMS and APNs) as this procedure will erase all your apps, data and settings on the phone.
- Please ensure that ClockworkMod recovery is installed and the phone's bootloader is unlocked before you proceed with the custom ROM installation for Android 4.1 Jelly Bean.
Here is a step-by-step guide to install Rasbeanjelly ROM Based Android 4.1 Update on Google Nexus S 4G.
How to Install Rasbeanjelly ROM Based Android 4.1 Update on Google Nexus S 4G
1. Download the latest version of Rasbeanjelly ROM from XDA Developers' official thread (download here).
2. Copy the downloaded zip file from step 1 to the SD card on the phone.
3. Now, perform a button sequence to boot into ClockworkMod recovery. Power off the phone and then, press and hold the Volume Down and the Power buttons together to boot into fastboot mode. Highlight the RECOVERY option by navigating to it using the volume buttons. Then select it using the Power button to boot into recovery. In the recovery menu, use the volume buttons to move up/down and the power button to select an option.
4. Take a Nandroid Backup of your current ROM, so that you can always restore it from recovery if something fails to work with the new ROM. To perform the backup, select Backup and Restore and on the next screen, tap Backup again. Return to main recovery menu once backup completes.
5. Tap wipe data/factory reset, then choose Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait until the data wipe is complete.
6. Select install zip from sdcard, then tap choose zip from sdcard. Browse and locate the ROM file on the SD card and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes - Install _____.zip on the next screen. The ROM will begin installing.
7. Once the ROM is installed, tap go back then hit reboot system now to reboot the phone and launch Jelly Bean operating system (OS).
NOTE: To return to your previous ROM, boot into recovery (as given in step 3), choose backup and restore. Now, restore your previous ROM by selecting it from the list
Rasbeanjelly ROM is now installed and you are all set to enjoy the Jelly Bean goodness on your Nexus S 4G.
[Source: The Android Soul]