Albert Einstein was born in the city of Ulm in Germany 135 years ago today. The renowned physicist shaped modern science with his general theory of relativity and is the author of the world's most famous equation, E=mc2.
In 1921, he was awarded the Nobel Prize in Physics for his services to theoretical physics and discovering the photoelectric effect, a law paramount to the establishment of quantum theory.
The father of modern physics would be celebrating his 135th birthday and to mark the occasion, IBTimes UK has compiled a list of some of his best quotes from his life.
1. "Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world." 1929.
2. "Why is it that nobody understands me, yet everybody likes me?" 1944
3. "Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love." 1933
4. "Wisdom is not a product of schooling but of the lifelong attempt to acquire it." 1954
"The more success the quantum theory has, the sillier it looks." 1912
5. "People like you and I, though mortal of course, like everyone else, do not grow old no matter how long we live. What I mean is that we never cease to stand like curious children before the great Mystery into which we were born." 1942
6. "Most teachers waste their time by asking questions that are intended to discover what a pupil does not know, whereas the true art of questioning is to discover what the pupil does know or is capable of knowing." 1920
7. "The important thing is to not stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing." 1955
8. "To one bent on age, death will come as a release. I feel this quite strongly now that I have grown old myself and have come to regard death like an old debt, at long last to be discharged. " 1955
9. "Do not worry about your difficulties in mathematics; I can assure you that mine are still greater." 1943
10. "The search for truth and knowledge is one of the finest attributes of man—though often it is most loudly voiced by those who strive for it the least." 1943
11. "Truly novel ideas emerge only in one's youth. Later on one becomes more experienced, famous—and foolish." 1917
12. "The more a country makes military weapons, the more insecure it becomes: if you have weapons, you become a target for attack." 1953
13. "Marriage is but slavery made to appear civilized." (date unknown)
14. "Fear or stupidity has always been the basis of most human actions." 1954
15. "Strange is our situation here on earth. Each of us comes for a short visit, not knowing why, yet sometimes seeming to divine a purpose." 1932
16. "When I was young, all I wanted and expected from life was to sit quietly in some corner doing my work without the public paying attention to me. And now see what has become of me." (date unknown)
17. "There are two different conceptions about the nature of the universe: (1) the world as a unity dependent on humanity; (2) the world as a reality independent of the human factor." 1930
18. "The Press, which is mostly controlled by vested interests, has an excessive influence on public opinion." (date unknown)
19. "If you want to live a happy life, tie it to a goal, not to people or objects." (date unknown)
20. "I never worry about the future. It comes soon enough." 1945