The January build (9926) for Windows 10 Technical Preview is available via the Windows Insider Program site for both the Fast and Slow ring users and it brings the Cortana personal digital assistant.
However, in this build, Cortana is only available for the US and English language, although Cortana Search will work in all languages. Microsoft has, however, promised to make improvements in future builds, adding new capabilities and more languages.
Thankfully, there is a workaround available through which you can get Cortana working, if you are staying outside the US, but it is limited to English language communication with Cortana. Check out the method described below to get Cortana outside the US.
To get Cortana working outside the US do the following:
- First you will have to change 'Region and Language' settings. For this go to desktop control panel and select Clock, Language, and Region from the right hand side
- Click on Region and change the following:
- In the Format tab, set format as English (United States)
- Set Home Location in the Location tab as United States
- Finally, in the Administrative tab, set Current System Local to English (United States)
- Also, set English (United States) as your primary display language to make the aforementioned changes work fine
- In case you have not installed it yet, head over to Add a Language and choose it from the list and then set as primary
- After you have made the changes, restart your PC. Once the system is up, you will find Cortana ready to assist you with information you are looking for
Also, you need to sign in using your Microsoft account. You can either use your keyboard or, microphone to interact with Cortana.
If you are a non-native speaker and not comfortable with pronunciation, you can change the settings accordingly. For this, go to Setting>> choose System>> Speech>> set Speech language as English (US)>> click the box saying Use speech pattern for non native speakers of this language.