One of the major features introduced in the January build (number 9926) of Windows 10 Technical Preview, which is now available for Windows Insiders, is Cortana, Microsoft's personal digital assistant. Both Slow and Fast Ring users can now take advantage of new features from Build 9926 as Microsoft has published the build for the two and on ISOs.
With just a single click on the taskbar, Cortana helps Windows 10 desktop users to find everything they need. Cortana can help you search for apps, settings, files and searching the web.
So, if you are in the US and US English enabled on your system running the new Windows 10 build, you can enjoy Cortana voice assistant.
Also, the 'Hey Cortana' voice activation feature is available for Windows users. Available on Lumia 930 and Lumia 1520 through the Lumia Denim update, the 'Hey Cortana' lets you activate Cortana even when the phone is idle.
Check out the following guide to know how to enable Hey Cortana, which is disabled by default, on Windows 10. (Courtesy of Windows Central)
Enable Hey Cortana on Windows 10 Preview
- Step 1: Tap in the Search area
- Step 2: Tap the hamburger button in the top left corner
- Step 3: Select Settings
- Step 4: Scroll down and select Let Cortana respond when you say Hey Cortana
Unlike on Windows Phones, you don't have to say Hey Cortana and wait for her to acknowledge, you can just say in one stream "Hey Cortana what is the current weather" and she will bring out the weather forecast.
Conrtana keyboard shortcuts
Following are the keyboard shortcuts for Cortana functions.
- Win + Q = Cortana main screen with interests and news
- Win + S = Right into Cortana's search engine
How to disable Cortana from task bar on Windows 10 Technical Preview
The Cortana search box is located right next to the Start button on your Windows 10 system. To disable it, do the following steps.
- Step 1: Right click on the task bar
- Step 2: Select Search option
- Step 3: You should now see three new options for what to do. Click the Disabled option
- Step 4: If you want to keep it but with more on the task bar, select Show search icon and the box will be replaced by a small magnifying glass icon
- Step 5: To bring it back again, follow the same steps but hit the enable option
Using this simple guide you can disable Cortana from desktop task bar.